Chapter 15: The Melancholy of Lady Carna

Sorry if this came out of nowhere to you, but Carna Foote Mortens had memories of her previous life.

She recalled those memories when she was at the age of 12, right after her engagement with the Emperor’s son, Prince Ruben, was decided. She was in a happy mood because she got engaged with a guy she like, when suddenly she found out about her hopeless future making her face turned pale.

“I- I’m not a villainess!!” She fell into her bed in her large, luxurious room as she worried about what to do.

First of all, in her memory, this world was an otome game called “Blue Orchid”. Set in the Centrior Imperial Magic Academy, the world revolved around the heroine of this game, Folia Cresias. As you might have guessed, Prince Ruben would be the main hero. The fact that the heroine was destined to be with him meant that Carna’s engagement was not going to have a happy ending.

The villainess Carna, who was head over heels in love with Prince Ruben, would bully Folia and were hated by the prince and other characters.

And the worst thing was, after the prince fall out of love with her, her evil magic backfired and she turned into a kaiju[1]. In the end, she perished at the hands of the heroines and her love interests. Her ending was so horrible and terrifying.

And after Carna died, the heroine would deepen her bond with her love interests and it was needless to say the rest.

“If it was going to be like this, I’d rather if my engagement got cancel instead of this!” Carna cried thinking of her character setup. If it was just getting her engagement broken off, there was still hope for her life after that. But this was too much. When thinking that she was going to turn into a scary kaiju, she quivered uncontrollably.

“Why the hell would there be a fantasy battle genre in an otome game?!” Unfortunately, the game creator could not hear her scream. Anyway, she had no choice but to work on avoiding her impending doom. She would enter the academy in another 3 years. And the winter of her second year at Centrior was when she would meet her tragic ending.

“In the ending scene, the lead couples were flirting with each other as they started their 3rd year at the academy.”

She also wanted to enjoy her youth and graduated from school without regrets. Her tears that had stopped earlier started to drop again.

“Even though I’m engaged to Prince Ruben, I couldn’t even be with him …”

In her previous life, when she played the otome game for the first time, she fell in love with his character. Carna liked him even before she was born.

Ruben was a sincere person with a strong possessive nature and a devoted lover. She really liked his face. And the best thing was, he was a prince. It would be weird if she didn’t fall for him.

“No. I can’t give up.  Of course, I don’t want to have a bad ending, but more importantly, I don’t want Prince Ruben to come into harm’s way.”

And so, Carna’s struggle began. Although she was enthusiastic, but her path towards doom was steadily progressing.

“Lady Carna, next will be a magic lesson.”

“Alright. I’m coming.”

Just as she finished a lecture, she would have to do practice. And after taking a short break, she had to study dance and etiquette. Once her engagement was decided, Carna didn’t even have time to plan for a counter measure, as she was too busy spending her days trying to become a woman that was suitable for Ruben.

Sometimes, she felt like giving up when she recalled that she was not destined to be with him anyway. However, whenever she met with him, she would forget about everything. Ruben existed right by her side. Just a simple thing like that would made her happy. When she taught it was for him, she would even made time to bake some cookies for him regardless how busy she was.