Chapter 19: Folia's love affair

Razé: “Folia, are you writing a letter again?”

Folia: “Un.”

Folia sealed the letter she wrote with candle wax. Her roommate, Razé, had just returned from her daily routine of running.

They both were commoner and get along well with each other. Razé was smart and strong. She was so excellent; she entered the academy as a scholarship student.

As for Folia, she could follow the theory lessons but she was not good at practical. The teaches gave her make-up classes, but that alone couldn’t improve her skills. She used to practice by herself in her free time, but now Luca, who was very good at magic, helped her with her practice.

Zale-sama had told me to do my best, but I’m letting him down …

Folia looked down at the letter. When she remembered the man with jet-black hair and golden eyes, her chest hurt.

I wonder what he is doing now.

She was fully aware that he only saw her as a child. When she was young, she only saw him as ‘a brother who came to the church’ and she was a bit scared of him. But Folia fell in love with Zale.

“Folia~, this is for you!” Razé noticed Folia looked dispirited. She took out a box from the closet and gave it to her.

Razé: “I found this at the shopping district yesterday. I thought it’s cute and suits you well.”

Folia: “For me?”

Razé: “Un.”

When Folia opened the box, she saw a jewelry case with lock.

Razé: “I thought maybe you could use it as letter case.”

Folia was surprised. The letters she received from Zale was like treasure to her. This gift was so perfect. It seemed that Razé knew her very well.

Folia: “Thank you, Razé-chan. I’m so happy. Can I really take this?”

Razé: “Of course. I bought it for you.”

Folia was touched by Razé’s gesture. She was happy to have such a reliable friend. Folia turned towards Razé.

Folia: “Hmm. Razé-chan. Will you listen to my story?”

Razé: “Sure.”

Folia wanted to tell Razé about her worries. She slowly started to tell Razé about Zale.

Folia: “The person who wrote me these letters seems a bit cold and a little scary but actually he is a very kind person.”

At that moment, Razé realized what Folia was going to tell her. She thought, I’d better prepare myself or I’m going to vomit sugar [1]. Folia was going to tell her a love story so her stomach was giving her a warning sign to prepare herself.

Folia: “At first I thought of him as a brother that was a bit scary. But before I realize it, my eyes were always chasing him …”

Razé: “Un.”

Folia: “He always helps me whenever I was in trouble.”

Razé: “Un.”

Folia: “I think it was about 2 years ago, an abnormal phenomenon occurred near the church. We were attacked by a large number of beasts.”

Folia closed her eyes as she recalled what happened back then. Zale had screamed her name as he ran towards her with a worried look. Folia couldn’t forget how he had hugged her tightly that day.