Chapter 13: Breakfast with the seniors

Razé woke up when she heard a rumbling noise coming from her side. She got up and looked around. It was an unfamiliar room. “… Oh, I’m at the dormitory.” When she recalled where she was, she looked at her watch. The time was 5am. Maybe because of her missions, she usually couldn’t sleep very deeply. But 5am was too early…

Folia seemed to wake up really early. She could wake up without alarm, which made Razé respected her. As her consciousness became clearer, Razé decided to wake up. “Folia, you’ve woke up? Good morning.”

“Oh, Razé-chan. Good morning! Did I wake you up?”

“No, it’s fine.”

Folia opened the partition and the windows. “The weather seems nice.”

“Yeah. There’s still time left. I’m going out for a run.”

“Huh? Run?”

Razé had brought workout clothes so that she could do some training at the academy. “Yeah, run. It feels good, you know. The dining hall will open at 7am. I’ll be back by then.”

“Alright. I’m not good at sports. I really admire you!”

“Thanks but it’s nothing to be admired.” Razé changed her clothes quickly and teleported to the front lobby. “Good morning. I’m going out for a run.” Razé informed the matron, just in case.

“Oh. You’re early. Good morning. The dormitory gate is opened at 5am. Don’t go too far, you’ll get lost.”

“Okay. If I got lost, I’ll teleport back.”

“Okay. Have fun.”

The matron also has to wake up early, Razé thought as she walked out. After thinking about it for a little while, Razé decided to run around the academy. She did some warm-up exercise, and then started running.

“Hah-hah-hah-” She was panting for breath after running for a while. Improving one’s basic health would also improve the quality of their magic. To put it the other way around, if the basic physical strength dropped, the quality of magic also dropped. Razé ran quite seriously because it was a matter of life and death for her profession. Just like parkour, she jumped over obstacles and continue to run while maintaining her speed. By the time she came back to her starting point, she was out of breath.

“Hah-hah-hah-… This is tough.” It was hard to run without relying on magic. As she wiped her sweat, Razé noticed someone was nearby. She slowly walked over. Someone was doing suburi[1] in a wooded area near the dormitory. She thought it was the grandson of the former Knight Captain. To her surprise, it was the Prime Minister’s son.

Hmm. He’s pretty hardworking. Razé thought he was a player who like to flirt around. She now saw him in a new light. It would be awkward to meet here, so Razé stealthily walked away.

“The top performers in Centrior usually join the Knights after graduation. Is he going to be a knight too?” The Knights were like the police in this country. They were in charge mainly of matters inside the country and were called the ‘Emperor’s Sword’. On the other hand, the military which Razé belonged to was called the ‘Emperor’s Gun’ and often carried out missions outside the country. Just to be clear, although the military was called the Emperor’s Gun didn’t mean that they couldn’t use swords.

“Wait a minute…  Isn’t it more dangerous to join the Knights compared with being in the academy?” Razé suddenly felt doubtful. Is there any meaning for me to be a bodyguard here? But since she had already accepted the mission, she needed to carry out her duty. What did I infiltrate here for? Is there anything dangerous about this academy? No way. That’s impossible.