A DISASTROUS MEETING

I set off in search of a coffee. Having strangely arrived early, I seriously need to down something that will wake me up properly.

Leaving the corridor that led me directly to the office of that pleasant gentleman, I proceed towards the refreshment area but, having no idea where it is, I ask the first manager I find along the large entrance hall. A man in his forties, composed and elegant, kindly gestures the correct direction to follow.

With the given directions, I proceed, sniffing the air like a truffle dog, and as I move forward, I catch a good scent emanating from coffee and croissants, mingled with the light murmur of voices and the faint clatter of dishes and cutlery.

I imagined a small room with a few vending machines dispensing drinks and snacks instead, once the doors open, I am stunned. A real restaurant area with a bar, a couple of bartenders, chairs, and tables.
A sweet background music accompanies me to the counter. As I pass by, it’s like at the entrance; no one turns to look at me.
I go unnoticed among a few tables, where men and women are chatting, sipping their orange juices, and devouring slices of cake that, in my opinion, look quite delicious! My mouth waters…

At the counter, a beautiful mulatto girl with almost silver platinum blonde hair is hastily washing some glass cups. I watch her move gracefully and, a few seconds later, she notices me shyly staring at her and smiles, promptly grabbing a towel from above the sink to dry them.
<<Tell me.>> she says in such a sweet voice that I can barely hold back a full smile.
<<A coffee, please.>>

I look around, finding no one interesting. Not even a shadow of Grace. She’s probably already in the office, catching up on some backlog.
Unlike me, she has always loved punctuality, and the annoying thing is that she often arrives quite early.

Immersed in my fantasy adventures, I look at the people in the cafeteria, I turn around, and surprised by the girl’s speed in preparing my coffee, I cautiously take it from the counter, heading, with my gaze on the extraordinary shiny floor, in search of a free table to sip it with all the tranquility possible and imaginable.

Having found a free spot, I turn, and someone, walking very hastily, without even looking where they step, suddenly bumps into me, making me spill half of the coffee on a good part of my poor blouse, staining my chest.
<<What the hell! Look at that…>>
I can’t finish the sentence, I am so angry! First day of work and what a scene! I can’t work like this… all dirty and smelling of damn hot coffee!

I suddenly raise my head to see the fool who ran into me like that, and I am astonished.
My heart starts to warm, beating in a way I had never felt before. I feel the heat and redness rise to the tip of my hair. My thin lips form a foolish “O” and start to tremble, unable to utter any sound, and my large hazel eyes widen so much they almost pop out of their sockets. My pupils dilate.

The most handsome guy I had ever met is now here, right in front of my eyes. The one I would have gladly sent to hell for causing me such a nearly irreparable mess, the one who just embarrassed me in front of everyone, even though I didn’t care much since no one, as had been happening since I set foot in this company, was paying us any attention, is here, smiling mockingly, almost making me lose my mind and wanting to throw my heavy shoulder bag right in his face. But, hypnotized by those well-defined lips, his smile is so damn intriguing and hot.

The touch of beauty that completes his beautiful face. A completely shaven face, with clear but slightly tanned skin, typical of a summer spent in California or some Caribbean island, framing magnetic greenish-blue eyes. And the perfection of his nose, neither too big nor too small, seemingly designed just for him. His ash-blonde hair, styled in a classic mid-length ‘90s cut, a bit cheeky, giving him a particular look, almost like the leader of a famous boy band.

A sweet but at the same time wicked look, seeming like the fusion of two people in one. Tall and perfect, absolutely perfect. Especially perfect wearing a white shirt left unbuttoned just enough to show a beautiful slender neck. He wears black suit pants and shiny black loafers.
All of this makes him so attractive and elegant. He is so damn handsome.
That divine being who appeared out of nowhere holds in those strong hands a pitch-black folder full of various papers, all neatly organized. He approaches me elegantly, making me feel like a tiny dot and I blush fiercely. I can’t take my eyes off him.

He is so close that the scent of his intense, expensive musk perfume is intoxicating me. I feel ridiculous. I’m afraid of what he’s thinking of me right now.
He opens his mouth in a mocking grin. I don’t think I can listen to him.
<<Quite an interesting meeting, Sarah.>>
Damn, he already knows my name! How stupid, how could he not know, it’s plastered right on a boob!

It’s nerve-wracking. He’s amusingly staring at my pseudo-dumb look.
Suddenly, he leaves my eyes and silently passes by me, leaving me alone like an idiot. Alone with the trail of his perfume…

He leaves me standing in the middle of the now half-empty room, but hoping and thinking he’s gone entirely, or hoping it was just the fruit of my crazy imagination, I shake myself out of that half-nightmare and turn around to seek confirmation. I have to rethink. He’s still here!
So it’s all true. That ancient Greek god does exist!
Panic rises, and I blush again. He’s at the counter in front of the mulatto girl and is staring at me again with that damned smile. Then, he turns with a professional air and nods to her, which she returns with a beautiful smile.
I feel a bit of strange jealousy, without any logical reason. I don’t know him, I don’t know which department he is in, I met him through a disastrous coincidence, and I don’t even know his name.

I watch him enchanted as he leaves and decide to pull myself together, shaking my head “Sarah, wake up! You have to work, work!” I head to the counter for the last time and am struck by the girl’s gesture when she notices I’m about to open my bag and take out my wallet.
<<All set.>>
I can’t comprehend the fact that she didn’t make me pay. Maybe that strange guy paid for me to apologize for the incident or she noticed the ridiculous scene and, seeing all that good coffee wasted, let it go.
Well, in any case, I thank her embarrassedly and hastily leave, silently leaving everything behind.