Chapter 30

After exchanging goodbyes with Angeline and Lucilia, the three of us headed back to Gaia's mountain, where we managed to finish the rest of Angeline's cake and bread. I initially didn't have any energy to eat as I was too concerned about Mallory, but Gaia managed to convince the two of us to fill our stomachs, not that I minded since this was good food.

Now, the three of us were just laying on our bed, waiting for one of us to make the first move. Gaia was on the left side of the bed, and since I felt that Mallory needed our warmth, I made her lay in between us. Fortunately, she didn't complain nor decline, she only silently laid down and stared at nothing in particular. The more quiet we were, the more anxious I got. No one seemed willing to start a conversation. Gaia was just staring at our mate, while I was playing with my fingers as my back leaned against the headboard of the bed.

The only sounds I could hear were the harmonic chirping of birds, and the heavy drumming of my heart. I didn't exactly understand why I was so nervous. Perhaps I was overthinking everything. However, if I actually were, then the pained look in Mallory's gleaming emeralds, and the furrow of her brows would be nothing but a lie, and I didn't think it was a lie.

I took a deep breath and decided to take the initiative, "Mal-"

"I'm not sure, Willow."

Mallory looked up at me before shaking her head. From her action and her words, I understood that she wasn't ready to open up yet and I completely respected that. Thus, I managed to smile at her, hoping to reassure her, "It's okay, I'm not going to force you."

As opposed to the reaction I expected, Mallory heaved a sigh, and mirrored my position, sitting up and leaning her back against the bed's headboard as well. She then stared straight ahead, her eyes unwavering as she spoke, "I'm not sure if I can do this anymore."

I was shocked, but Gaia felt it more than I did as she quickly sat up and faced Mallory, "Do you want me to kill them already? Because I can and I will." Her silver orbs were glowing and her nails dug deep in the mattress, penetrating it.

However, Mallory gave a calm response, "No, to act based on emotions is doomed for failure."

"But you said-"

"I know, I'm not any better." She mumbled, shrugging as she pursed her lips in a straight line.

I frowned, concern taking over my features as I leaned closer to her, "Mal, what's really going on? I know you won't just give up like this."

"I'm not-" She paused for a moment, running a hand through her hair, and groaning before continuing, "I'm not giving up. I just.. the.. I.. I don't want to seem even more pathetic than I already am."

"Mal, you will never be pathetic." Gaia quickly said, shaking her head as she cupped Mallory's cheeks. "You're amazing, you're extraordinary, you're strong, and most of all, you're brave."

Mallory scoffed and pulled her face away from Gaia's hold, "I beg to differ."

"But Mal, Gaia is right, you are more amazing than you could ever imagi-"

"If I was as amazing as you two say, then I should've been able to kill her." Mallory snapped, her tone venomous, and her expression cold as she buried her head in her hands.

Worried about her sudden change of mood, Gaia and I shared a quick glance at each other, as if sending a sign before I got up and positioned myself in front Mallory. Gaia nodded and with ease, she lifted Mallory and managed to sit behind her, so that Mallory was now sitting in between Gaia's legs.

"What are you two doing?"

Once Mallory looked up, I sat on her lap and didn't say a word as I wrapped my arms around her shoulders and embraced her. The back of Gaia's hands softly grazed my stomach as she snaked her arms around Mallory's waist, hugging her from behind.