The one chapter where Cody and Obi-Wan totally don't go on a date

When Cody got the message from Obi-Wan, asking him if he will join Obi-Wan for dinner, he couldn't quite believe it. He wanted to say yes, a thousand times yes, and then he remembered he has eight children. Then he remembered he was exceptionally lucky that particular evening because Rex and Ahsoka were intending on watching a movie with the kids. With some safety measures, he could leave them there for an evening.

  First safety measure was securing dinner. Bly was at Aayla's so the task of cooking fell to Cody. He cooked spaghetti with a simple tomato sauce, one of the few foods all the kids ate. Well, Fox didn't but he was used to eating pasta without a sauce since he hated things being mixed. Even Wolffe would be able to heat that and Wolffe was the worst at cooking.

  The second safety measure was making the kids change into their pajamas before he left. Sure, it was early but when he told them they will have more time for watching TV if they don't have to worry about changing, they all happily agreed to wear pajamas.

  The third safety measure was giving the most responsible person in the house instructions for everything from heating the food - just in case - to changing Boba's diapers and giving Fives and Echo their medicine before bed. Fox knew it all but it never hurt to repeat.

  After Fox assured him that yes, he was going to make sure the kids ate and that yes, he was going to make sure they went to the bathroom before bed and that yes, Cody, he did remember how to set the microwave, Cody finally took his leave.

  He finally relaxed when he arrived to the small restaurant a few levels up, checked his phone and saw a message from Fox saying that Ahsoka came and that her, Rex and the children were watching a movie. And that they stole a packet of crisps. Everything was fine, he could enjoy the evening.

  Cody didn't have to wait long for Obi-Wan to show up. And fuck, the other man looked gorgeous. Not that it was something new. But the brown dress robes fit him just fine and his copper hair shined when he passed under the street lamp. Cody had to remember to breathe.

  "Hello there," Obi-Wan greeted him with a grin that just made him more handsome. Why did Fox's literature teacher have to be so hot? Weren't literature teachers supposed to be graying weirdos dressed in pajamas-like something that constantly sulk in the library?

  "Hi," Cody greeted and he was just so embarrassed when he realized he felt shy. He hasn't felt like that in ages, probably not since he invited his classmate for a drink back in high school.  And it wasn't even like he was trying to seduce Obi-Wan. It would be useless anyway. He might be attractive but a house full of children wasn't what people were looking for in partners. Cody has learned that pretty early on.

  "Thank you for coming on such a short notice. My friend canceled this dinner out of nowhere."

  "I'm the one who should thank you. It's been ages since I've been out," Cody smiled in a way he hoped wasn't awkward. It was true, the last time that could count as going out was when he went for a drink with Rex and that was more that two months ago. He couldn't even remember when he last went to a restaurant without the kids.

  "I can imagine you are pretty busy with all the children."

  "Yes, I am," Cody smiled bitter sweetly. He loved the kids and didn't regret taking them in but sometimes he wished he could have a day for himself from time to time.

  "I hope you didn't have problems with finding last minute babysitting."

  "Not at all. Rex and your sister volunteered to watch some movie with them."

  "You trust Rex and Ahsoka to watch them?"

  "Not entirely but I trust Fox."

  "Isn't he like fifteen?"