[Chapter 3] Quack healer, psycho boyfriend snake, and an Eagle??

Today, there was an intruder.

Well, not much of an intruder, but a leopard beast man 'searching for herbs' all the way in Curtis's territory.

"What are you doing here, Harvey? Do you want Curtis to kill you?" It was a teasing question on Rhea's part, but Harvey took it seriously. His body was literally shaking, but he mustered up the courage.

"I want to go with you!"

Curtis had his arms around her, like he was petrified she would decide to pick Harvey over him. His grip tightened slightly, his eyes narrowed as he stared at Harvey.

"Why did you suddenly decide to go with me?" Rhea asked, genuinely curious about his sudden boldness.

"Well, you're pretty," Harvey replied earnestly, his eyes fixed on hers with an intensity that made her uncomfortable.

"Thank you, but what else?" She probed, needing more than just flattery.

"And you don't despise me," he added, his voice almost pleading.

Rhea felt a headache coming on. Was that really all? Curtis, behind her, was visibly tensing up. Despite talking big the previous night, the prospect of another male actually terrified him. His jealousy was palpable, radiating off him in waves.

"I'll be honest, Harvey. I cannot promise you my heart. Are you okay with that?" Rhea asked, trying to gauge his seriousness.

Harvey paused, then nodded. "I am okay with that. You treated the Feral so well, I don't believe he has your heart, so why couldn't I?"

"Alright, let me talk with Curtis."

The two sat by the pond inside the cave. The water was still and reflective, mirroring their troubled expressions. Curtis looked a bit down, and she knew what he was thinking. He picked at the moss beside the pond, avoiding her gaze.

"I won't abandon you, Curtis," she said gently, placing a hand on his. "I know we haven't done anything yet, but you need to trust that I will maintain my promise to take you as my mate."

"I know... I am being unreasonable, not wanting to share you with anyone," he muttered, his voice barely above a whisper.

"No, that's not unreasonable at all. Truthfully, I do not want any other mate. I am okay with just one."

"But you need someone to help you during winter," he protested on Harvey's behalf. His concern was genuine, his eyes pleading for her to understand. He was a kind man. If she were in his place, she would not be so willing.

"Curtis, are you sure you want Harvey to come with us?" she asked. "If you say no, I will not take him. I am okay with just you."

"I—" He hesitated, his brows furrowing in conflict. Was it okay to be selfish just this once? But what if his selfishness puts her in danger?

"Do not worry about my safety, Curtis. Truly think about how you feel about this," she urged, squeezing his hand reassuringly.

Harvey waited anxiously outside the cave, pacing back and forth. His ears twitched with every sound, his tail flicking nervously. The wait seemed to stretch on forever, the minutes ticking by painfully slow.

Soon enough, Rhea emerged with Curtis holding her hand. Curtis's face was set in a resigned expression.

"Alright, Harvey, you can come with us. If you want to leave at any time, I won't mind. You can get to know me more than just how you see me superficially," Rhea said, her voice steady and kind.

Harvey was overjoyed. His face lit up with a broad smile, and he rushed up to hug her. Curtis stood still, his eyes following Harvey's every move, but he did not interfere. Harvey's embrace was warm and sincere, and Rhea patted his back awkwardly. So much physical touch was new to her, but she would learn to get used to it.