[Chapter 18] Our last Christmas

"Rhea, I've decided to train under Elara" Harvey announced during breakfast. He had been thinking about it for a while. It would be better if he learned how to care for women more, at least if Rhea ever got sick, he wouldn't be so helpless like last time. 

Rea looked up from her breakfast, her eyes searching his face. "You'll join the healer's guild?"

He nodded. "I'll be gone till the evening most of the time, but you just have to wait for me to come back. I'll tell Winston to keep an eye on you while I'm gone." 

She nodded. "That's ok; I don't mind being alone, I can take care of myself." 

She wouldn't stop him from doing what he wanted; he wasn't her pet. But now that he was gone, what would she do?

The silence after he left that morning was deafening. This was the first time she had been alone since she was in this world. She always had Curtis, Harvey, or someone around, It felt strange. 

"I should make something useful," she muttered to herself, looking around the room. Her eyes landed on some fabric they had traded for recently and set out making the Christmas presents for the year. 

Rhea had never made clothes before, it didn't occur to her that she could actually measure people's sizes, so she just eyeballed from memory and started making a Roman inspired cloak for Harvey with a soft fur lining. They were all adjustable so she wouldn't have to ask them for measurements anyway. 

Time flew by, and she barely noticed the hours slipping away. Her arms started to cramp as she was sewing, so she decided to take a break to warm up lunch. 

In the early afternoon, there was a knock on the door. Rhea looked up from her work, slightly startled. "Who could that be?"

She opened the door to find Dali standing there, smiling brightly. "Rhea! I hope I'm not disturbing you. You promised to visit, but I thought I'd come to you instead."

Rhea's face lit up with joy. "Dali!" She hugged her tightly. She had completely forgotten she promised to visit; Dali must have been waiting for her. "Come in, come in. Is this your mate?" She asked, pointing at the wolf male standing protectively behind her with a baby girl in his arms.

"Yes! This is Nobel, and our daughter Lilly."

"What a lovely name! She's so cute too!" Rhea gushed, looking at Lilly; she had beautiful black hair in two cute pigtails and chubby cheeks with her mother's black eyes. She had a beautiful beaded necklace on her neck, which Rhea recognized as one of hers.

Rhea brought them in and cleared her dining table, which was covered in fabrics.

"Are you making clothes, Rhea?" Dali asked curiously.

"Yes, we'll be celebrating Christmas together, so I'm making presents!"

"What's Christmas? Is it like a festival?"

"It's an old tradition in my tribe. Everyone gets together to have a feast and we exchange gifts. Do you want to join us?" Rhea asked excitedly.

"We'd love to! I'll bring my mates! It should be fun. Do you want me to bring anything? We have lots of wine."

"That would be perfect!"

The both of them talked idly. Dali caught Rhea up with the recent gossip, and Rhea shared her lunch with them. The room was filled with laughter and chatter, making Rhea feel less lonely in Harvey's absence.

"Is it okay if I carry Lilly?" Rhea asked.

Dali looked at her mate, who handed Lilly over. The baby was so cute, and she smiled brightly at Rhea.