[Chapter 10] 2 Months of Peace

Rhea walked through the hut to the outside courtyard, where she had gathered the scorpions again today. This time, she was actually excited to see them. Sitting down on the makeshift throne, she glanced at the crowd around her. They were all confused as to why they were called.

"Good morning. Today we will be getting quite a few things sorted. If you can't stand, please feel free to sit; this might take a while. First things first, anyone who can read or write, please step forward."

Three scorpion beast men stepped out, followed by Korrin. The crowd murmured in surprise, their eyes fixed on the four figures.

"Now," Rhea continued, "I want everyone to vote for who they want as their leader."

The scorpions exchanged puzzled glances. Korrin stepped forward, looking directly at Rhea. "What do you mean, Rhea? You are our Queen."

Rhea smiled. "I will remain your queen, but someone needs to be the official ruler, someone who can relate to you all. I will still be here as Queen, but this person will be the Scorpion King independently. They will become my mate publicly too. Now, anyone who thinks they deserve this position should step up to the podium."

A ripple of surprise ran through the crowd. Nik stepped up this time, joining Korrin and the others. Rhea remained unphased as she observed the candidates.

The voting process began with the scorpions murmuring among themselves. The candidates each spoke briefly, sharing their vision for the tribe and their commitment to its prosperity. The scorpions cast their votes, they were instructed to draw lines, with the number of lines corresponding to the beastman they were voting for. The votes were collected and tallied.

As the results were read aloud, it became clear that there was a tie between Nik and Korrin. The crowd buzzed with excitement and curiosity. If not them who? The most powerful and the former King, Rhea made a mental note of the other educated beastmen silently. 

Rhea called Nik and Korrin aside for a private conversation. "If you become kings, you will not be able to have a mate, and I may never mate with you. If you are not okay with that and want a chance at love, you should give up being King." They would be her mate in the public eye, but they will not mark her; that way, they could step down if they found someone they liked, but to become king, they cannot mate with other females. 

Both men remained standing, their expressions resolute. Rhea looked at them, searching their faces for any hint of doubt.

Korrin spoke first. "When I was King, I never took a female because I was dedicated to providing for everyone. I can continue to do that."

Nik nodded. "I have no need for love. My priority is the tribe."

Rhea studied them for a moment before smiling. "You can always change your mind and step down if you find someone you like. But for now, you will both be joint Kings."

The announcement was met with murmurs of approval from the crowd. The scorpions seemed pleased with the decision, recognising the strength of both leaders.

"Next," Rhea said, raising her voice to be heard over the crowd, "the Black Wind tribe will become a point-based system tribe. Points will be earned by contribution, and resources will be distributed accordingly."

The scorpions listened intently.

"All two-marked beasts and above, please step forward," Rhea continued.

A group of scorpions moved forward, standing proudly. It was a minority but it was a start. 

"You have no need to train further. You can choose a craft, to hunt, or to work in agriculture," Rhea explained.