[Chapter 37] Death is the only end for you

Nik spat out a handful of blood, collapsing to his knees. The metallic taste lingered in his mouth as he gasped for breath. The Black Wind Tribe was in utter chaos, with scorpions rampaging through the streets, females fleeing in terror, and hunters desperately trying to fend off the attackers. Amidst the turmoil, Nik found himself surrounded by leopards, their eyes gleaming with predatory intent.

He clenched his spear tightly, feeling the weight of his responsibility pressing down on him. The tribe was his home, and he couldn't let it fall. Despite the pain and exhaustion, he pushed himself to stand, his vision narrowing as he focused on the immediate threat.

A leopard lunged at him, claws extended. Nik sidestepped just in time, thrusting his spear forward with precision. The blade pierced the leopard's side, and it let out a pained yowl, collapsing to the ground. Another leopard attacked from behind, but Nik transformed into his scorpion form, his exoskeleton glinting menacingly. His pincers snapped at his attacker, and he struck with his venomous tail, injecting a lethal dose into the leopard's flesh.

The battle raged on, and Nik fought with every ounce of strength he had left. One by one, the leopards fell, their bodies littering the ground around him. His breath came in ragged gasps, and blood dripped from multiple wounds, but he refused to give up.

Finally, the last leopard crumpled at his feet. Nik staggered, using his spear for support. He glanced around, taking in the devastation that surrounded him. The scorpions continued their rampage, and the tribe's defenses were crumbling before his very eyes. Was this the end? If she came back and no one was here, wouldn't she cry like a baby?

Heh.. that beastie of a girl would bawl her eyes out.

As he began to move, he saw a blur of motion out of the corner of his eye. Leo was dashing by, a look of determination on his face. Nik raised a hand to stop him, and Leo skidded to a halt, his eyes widening in surprise.

"Leo," Nik panted, "what's going on?"

Leo quickly explained the situation, his words coming out in a rush. "Jean is working with the Flame City King. We need to kill this dragon. No matter what." As long as the dragon was gone, they could salvage the situation. The only other option was abandoning the black wind tribe, but even he couldn't stomach that idea.

Nik's eyes narrowed as he noticed the bomb strapped to Leo's chest. "Take that shit off," he ordered.

Leo hesitated, his resolve wavering. "Nik, we need to kill the dragon. I have to do this."

Nik shook his head, unstrapping the bomb from Leo's chest. "No, Leo. You're the one we need alive. If there's anyone that should have to do it, it's me."

Leo paused, seeing the resolve in Nik's eyes. Unlike himself, Nik wasn't afraid even in death. Compared to him, Leo felt like a coward, he couldn't fight and what use was strategies against pure overwhelming power? Leo's heart clenched, an unknown feeling surging through his heart he couldn't quite place a finger on.

When did he become so sentimental?

"Why?" Leo asked, his voice trembling. Why throw away your life, you're an unmarked beast with no reason to stick around and find out, you don't have to die with us.

Nik met his gaze steadily, a stupid grin on his face. "For the same reason as you ."

Leo's eyes filled with tears as he handed over the bomb. No words could be said that would make this any easier, Nik himself had to wonder: when exactly did he come to love such a beastly woman? He sighed. This must have been his fate; it's a shame.

.

Winston struggled to his feet, clutching the knife tightly as blood trickled down his side. He could barely breathe, but he knew he had to get away. With a final glance at her, he grabbed the knight and started to run, each step sending waves of pain through his body.