[Chapter 35] In every lifetime

"Harvey?"

Winston looked at Rhea in confusion. Why did she say Harvey? Wasn't Harvey dead? Yet, for a split second, hearing that name evoked a strange familiarity. But the man in the mask stilled, hearing that name as if he recognised it.

"Is that who you wanted to see?" he asked in a low voice, his emotion indiscernible. "Yet again, you disappoint me, Rhea."

Winston watched Rhea intensely. She seemed unaffected by the masked man's words, but he could tell by the subtle shift in her smile that his words hurt. She recognised him; she definitely did. So why did she call out Harvey?

Mi Qi'er grabbed the dull gem on his neck, an object Winston had not noticed previously. It was inconspicuous, but now the man held this gem out to Rhea. "This stone right here holds his soul. Do you want it?"

Those words struck Winston like thunder. Can one's soul be held in a stone? That was complete nonsense, right? But she believed it. Her body trembled slightly, ever so slightly. He saw her reach subconsciously for her neck again and pull down at her skin.

"Do you want to see if it's the real Harvey or not?" Mi Qi'er asked, playing with the stone in hand. Rhea's eyes followed the stone carefully, as if afraid Mi Qi'er would smash it to pieces.

Mi Qi'er pointed at one of the guards dotted around the room, calling for him to come. The guard did as told, and Mi Qi'er pressed the stone against his head. For a second, it felt like nothing happened, but then the guard turned to Rhea.

"Rhea! You need to get out of here! He's not—" The voice was immediately cut off. The voice was completely different, but the tone, the way he pronounced her name, was Harvey's.

Mi Qi'er held the stone above his head, teasing Rhea. "Do you want this stone?" Rhea did not answer. Ever since muttering Harvey's name, she hadn't said a word, and her hair was beginning to block her expression from Winston. "If you want this stone, you need to relinquish your position as Queen." His words were like a stone dropping. Winston reacted immediately, slamming his fist on the table.

"Rhea! Do not listen to him! Harvey is gone! He's dead!"

"Tsk tsk tsk tsk," Mi Qi'er signalled his displeasure at Winston's interruption. "Your puppy is impatient. I just want to tell you, this is the only way Jean will give up on you if you give her everything you own. You can even run away and start your life over. Wouldn't that be amazing?"

"Don't listen to him," Winston said immediately, climbing over the table to get to Rhea. He reached out to touch her, but Mi Qi'er reacted swiftly. He moved so fast Winston could not follow, and his body slammed into the adjacent wall. He coughed violently as he tried to get up. Mi Qi'er was stronger than he expected. This didn't make sense. Was the scorpion king always this strong?

Rhea flinched at the impact, forcing herself to remain still.

"You should have trained him better," Mi Qi'er said. "Now, what will it be? Give up or lose your precious toy?"

Rhea's mind raced. The man in front of her, Mi Qi'er, was unmistakably familiar, yet twisted into something unrecognisable. Her eyes flicked to Winston, struggling to stand, then back to the gem.

Memories of Harvey flooded her mind. His smile, his laugh, the warmth of his embrace. The agony of losing him felt fresh, like a wound that refused to heal. The prospect of him being trapped in that gem was unbearable, but could she risk everything for a possibility?

"Rhea, don't," Winston managed to croak out, his voice pained but determined. "It's not real. He wouldn't want this."

Mi Qi'er sighed dramatically. "Such a dilemma, Rhea. But think of the peace you'll find. No more responsibilities, no more fear. Just you and Harvey, together again."