[Chapter 22] One Year

Leo sighed, a child clung to his leg, refusing to let go.

"Let go, Harley."

"No."

He tried to keep walking despite her clinging to him, but eventually, he became frustrated.

"Let go."

"No."

She was stubborn, clinging to him tightly.

"If you don't let go, I'll tell Curtis."

"Daddy loves me, he won't do anything!"

Leo hated that she was right. Curtis spoiled the girl rotten. Anything she wanted, he would give. Anyone that upset her, he would try to kill.

"Then I'll tell your mum."

She immediately released him.

Rhea was terrifying as a mother, even the child acknowledged that.

"Please don't tell mummy."

"I'll think about it after you do your work. I have a job, you know. My whole life doesn't revolve around tutoring you."

She nodded with tears in her eyes and scrambled up to her desk to work.

Leo could only sigh. Why was he in charge of teaching her? He felt like he didn't get paid enough for this at all.

He looked out the large open arc to the village below. An eagle flew by casually as beasts walked through the main street market, buying jewelry, weapons, colossal meat, and salt. The Black Wind Tribe was vibrant with life and colors.

At the town square, music from public performers filled the air. Beasts watched, clapping while some danced along.

The smells of freshly made food filtered through the town. Beasts sat in to eat the new foods being advertised. Some were celebrating various occasions, some went on dates, and others sat with their friends or alone, just enjoying the meal.

Leo glanced to the outskirts of the Black Wind Valley, where another town center was being constructed with new housing for displaced beasts to move into.

The black snake ferals could be seen occasionally, their black tails standing out. They wore armor and patrolled the city.

"Uncle Leo, I'm done!"

Leo turned his attention back to Harley and read through her math worksheet.

He ruffled her blonde hair with a smirk. "Good girl, you got it all right! You can go tell Curtis."

She beamed and took her test back before speeding off.

Her little legs tapped through the large palace halls as the guards smiled, seeing her run through barefoot.

Korrin and Nik walked through the halls, coming across the little princess.

"Princess! No running through the halls, you might hurt yourself!" Korrin said strictly.

"Let her run, she's not that fragile," Nik rolled his eyes.

"Daddy Nik!" she squealed, running up to him. Nik lifted her up and spun her.

"See, she likes me better," Nik taunted Korrin, whose face darkened.

"Well, Rhea likes me better, so it's fine. I'll concede this time," Korrin muttered.

Nik's smile stiffened. "Who wants her to like me?" He did, but he was never going to admit that to Korrin.

"Then you wouldn't mind me telling you she has a tail kink. You'll never need this information, but I felt like saying it," Korrin said with a smug look on his face before stalking off. Nik's face flushed, his imagination running wild.