[Chapter 32] Peacock tribe, flame city?

The night before their departure, Rhea, Winston, and Alva found themselves camping under the stars. Winston and Alva worked together to set up the tents, while Rhea, despite her best efforts, found herself more of a hindrance than a help.

She had tried to assist with the ropes, but somehow ended up entangled in them. "Queen Rhea, how did you manage to do that?" Winston laughed, his eyes sparkling with amusement.

She flushed, a bit embarrassed. "Can you help me get it off?"

Winston chuckled, his deep voice filled with warmth. "Alright, just give me a few seconds." He walked up, helping her untangle the ropes around her neck. His strength was measured, and it didn't take long to free her. "There."

"Thank you. I'll go get some firewood; at least I can't mess that one up," she muttered.

Winston looked at her fondly. "Can I touch you, Queen Rhea?"

His question took her by surprise. He had been touching her this entire time, so why ask now? "Yes?"

He lifted his hand to ruffle her hair. She looked up at him through his large hands in surprise. Permission to ruffle her hair? What the hell?

"Don't worry about the firewood. I'll go get it. I don't want anything to happen to you."

She nodded meekly as he headed off, rushing into the forest out of their clearing. By the time he returned, she was shocked to see he had also hunted some meat.

"Wow, you're very good at this," she said as she watched him prepare the meat.

"Well, I camped outside a lot when I was in Beast City since we had to save quite a few females."

"That's how I met you and Muir; you were saving females," she said. "Do females get kidnapped a lot?" She wouldn't know. Curtis had practically sheltered her, and her strength meant she laughed at the face of danger.

"Yeah, not just by ferals, but by other beastmen too. Remember you let the women free from the Black Wind Tribe? They were also kidnapped."

"Yeah, I told them to release them. I wonder if they got back safe."

"I'm sure they are grateful to you for saving them."

'Why would they be grateful?' she thought.

She hadn't stopped what happened to them from happening; she came at the end of everything. What difference did it make if she let them go or not? She just didn't like the idea of women in shackles. She didn't let them go for justice; she just hated the feeling of imprisonment they reminded her of.

After all, she was just like them, some things are unavoidable even in another world.

Harvey always said she was a good person, but when had she ever done anything out of kindness?

Her actions were fueled by what made her uncomfortable and what made her happy. She was just uncomfortable seeing those women like that, but when it came to women she disliked she didn't feel anything.

She was uncomfortable seeing the ferals so pitiful so she adopted them but she didn't care for the beastmen she killed in beast city.

Did that really count as being a good person?

'Harvey I don't think I will ever meet your expectations in this lifetime.'

If she needed to sacrifice her life for her people, could she?

Her useless thoughts carried on till dinner.

As they settled in for the night, the scent of roasted meat wafted through the air. The night sky is especially beautiful when you have some delicious meat.