[Chapter 28] Summer storms

Rosa's presence shocked the group of hunters. Winston immediately recognised her, as did Curtis. He looked at Rhea, who nodded, giving him permission to bring her closer. Rosa was barely alive, her breathing haggard, and on her back was written in blood, 'The King of Flame City.'

Rhea had heard of Flame City in passing—a city of ferals and abandoned mates. How did Rosa get there? More importantly, how did she get back here?

"Seems like someone wants to meet," Leo said, his calm demeanour contrasting with the others' clear discomfort at the blatant cruelty displayed. Rhea looked at the woman on the floor, wondering how much she had endured. She wrapped her hand around Rosa's neck, crushing it in a mercy killing or perhaps finishing the job she had started in Beast City. Winston winced at the sound of bones shattering.

"It seems like he wants to meet his competition," Rhea said coldly.

"Are you planning to go?" Leo asked.

Rhea pondered. She did not need to answer the call. If he wanted to see her so badly, he should come here and prostrate himself at her feet.

"No, Winston, increase the number of men patrolling."

Winston nodded at her command, his eyes glancing at the body of the woman he grew up with. Leo looked at Rhea's expression as if he wanted to ask her something, but he held back for now. He would ask when she was alone.

"We should head back, Rhea," Curtis said, taking her hand. The mood had been ruined now.

"Hn."

Storm clouds rolled in slowly, and citizens started to take things inside in anticipation of the coming storm. The clouds covered the sun, and Rhea watched the sky in admiration.

"You're looking at the sky like you're about to try and fly," Nik said, coming up behind her. She sat on the balusters, which had quickly become her favourite spot, on the edge of the palace with a sheer drop below her. It was grounding.

"The sky looks beautiful today. I couldn't help it," she said with a shrug. Nik looked at the sky and wondered if they were looking at the same thing. The dark storm clouds had eclipsed the sun, and barely any sunlight could pierce through. "Do you need anything?"

"Nothing," he said starkly. He wanted to check up on her but felt embarrassed to say it.

"Oh, then do you want to watch the storm here with me? Or are you still scared of me?"

He blushed and stuttered angrily, "Who's scared of you!? You're not scary at all." He stomped to sit beside her and tried not to look down. This was too scary.

Seeing his stubbornness, she held back her laughter. "Sure, you're quite brave. Aren't you afraid of dying?"

"If you're not afraid of dying, why should I be!?"

Why would she be afraid of dying? She had killed so many people that it would be stupid for her to fear death now.

"Right, right." She sat in comfortable silence as thunder rolled in. She watched the citizens underneath scramble to get inside. She loved the rain a lot.

"Where did you go the other day?" Nik finally gathered the courage to ask. The others didn't know, and Curtis was unwilling to tell him. Leo just looked at him with a resigned expression, as if to pity a clueless older brother.

"Well, I went under the sea and talked to a merman."

"I don't believe a beast like you was kidnapped."

She eyed him with mild annoyance. How was she a beast? She was a stunning young woman. "You know, I should really discipline you one day."

"Don't say that!" he said. Her threats were genuinely terrifying.