[Chapter 34] The past that haunts you, Rhea

Under the clear skies of Black Wind Valley, civilians gathered as shallow holes were dug out in a square lattice layout. Leo stood overseeing the construction, his sharp eyes missing nothing. Bai Qingqing, being pampered by her mates, sat in a sun chair with a sunhat, leisurely watching the operation unfold.

"Is everything ready?" Leo asked, as the workers took a step back. Each evaporating plot was spread with a thin layer of salt, and the simple underground pump system was ready for use. "Fill them up!"

Korrin and Nik patrolled the area, their faces anxious. If this didn't work out, they would be in trouble. Until Rhea returned, they could do nothing but try to mitigate the situation. Fighting mermaids in the sea was a death sentence, and their hope now lay in Rhea's ability to form alliances.

"I hate this," Nik muttered under his breath.

Korrin raised a brow, wondering what he was complaining about now.

"I hate how we're so useless. Compared to a two-mark beast like Leo, how are we the ones who are useless?"

Korrin understood where he was coming from. In a world of beasts where intelligence was never this important, it was crazy to think Rhea had to rely so heavily on a two-mark beast because of his intellect. Since Rhea had strength, she never had to rely on her mates, which made Nik jealous. Seeing the only one Rhea could rely on being so weak in his eyes, he despised it.

Korrin looked at the scorpion next to him, squatting on the floor with a spear against his torso. He wondered what was the point of thinking about things like this. "Our only job is to help Rhea the best we can. Stop thinking about useless things. And besides, you are not someone that will ever be close to Rhea."

Korrin's words were harsh but true. In terms of affection, Nik received none, for good reason too.

"Whatever, I'd rather be a free man anyway," he said coldly. Korrin didn't argue with him; after all, he was not his competition.

The saltwater filled the squares quickly as the civilians watched curiously. Being able to manufacture salt would be a dream come true and would bring in much profit.

Korrin watched on, his arms crossed. He looked up at the palace in the distance, thinking the little princess must be having her afternoon nap now. He had to admire Curtis, taking care of another beast's child so attentively. He was unable to do that, but that was probably why Curtis was Rhea's favorite. Korrin paused suddenly, his thoughts trailing as he felt something strange, a shift in the atmosphere.

Nik's face darkened. "Do you hear that?" he asked in a low voice. Korrin nodded. It was undeniable, the sound of feet, multiple feet, scurrying across the ground. Scorpions.

Nik stood up immediately and jumped up to the rock Leo had been supervising from.

"Is everything okay?" Leo asked, looking at Nik.

"We have company."

Leo's heart dropped. He turned to Qingqing and Shuu. "Take her to the palace." Then he turned to Nik. "Evacuate the civilians back to the Beast King territories. They can be protected there."

Nik nodded and did as told. Leo watched the forest calmly. Attacking while the Queen was away, if the King was useless, this would be checkmate.

At the outskirts of the tribe, a menacing figure approached, riding atop a massive scorpion. A blue-haired girl with a pale, slender body, a thin waist, and a beautiful aura. She wore a veil covering her face, but she was unmistakably Jean.

The civilians scampered away quickly, and Korrin climbed up to the platform Leo stood on, his hand on the hilt of his sword.

The woman was riding on what looked like a large scorpion, and as she advanced between the trees, beady eyes emerged. The darkness of the forest had shielded them, and now they were here.