[Chapter 9] Mother of Ferals

That morning, Curtis and Harvey insisted Rhea stay in bed while they said goodbye to the healer. Rhea could only send her well wishes. She really wanted to talk to another woman for once, but she was on strict bed rest despite being able to walk perfectly fine.

There was a knock on the door.

"Come in."

Korrin walked in with a basket.

"This was submitted for you," he said coldly before handing her the basket.

She looked inside curiously. Dead mice?

She wondered if Korrin was messing with her. Who sends dead mice to someone in a basket?

"They wish you good health," he explained, seeing the confusion on her face.

Scorpions often ate small mammals, so it made sense.

"I'm a bit shocked I'm receiving a get well soon gift," she commented, putting the basket of mice to her side.

"You probably don't know, but the Black Wind tribe does like you as queen... mostly."

"Yeah, right. I'm like a strict mom. They probably hate that I made them give up on kidnapping females."

Korrin didn't comment on it.

"I will take my leave."

Once again, Rhea was left in silence. She shifted the basket away from her just in case any mouse was still alive, and she laid down, looking at the ceiling.

She thought of Winston. He should be leaving right now. She didn't know why, but she wanted him to stay a bit more.

"Rhea?"

It was Muir this time, at her window.

"Hi, Muir. Are you guys about to leave?" she asked, looking at the black bird on her window sill.

"Yes, I just came to say goodbye since it might be a while before you come to Beast City."

Rhea laughed. "Yeah, I'm quite indisposed right now. By the time I'm ready, it will be close to winter, right? Maybe I'll come for the winter since everyone here will be hibernating. It would be quite boring here."

"If you come, you can stay with me! You and Harvey!"

"Winston already offered. We'll have Christmas together."

"What's Christmas?" he asked curiously.

"My tribe celebrated the winter with a big celebration. We decorate an evergreen tree with lanterns and ornaments, and we have a feast, sing, and dance."

"That sounds like fun! We should do that then. Unfortunately, I do not know any Christmas songs."

"Don't worry, I'll teach you."

Muir was quiet for a while. "Rhea, will you be taking Winston as your mate?"

The question came out of nowhere. She hadn't even considered it before.

"Is that something he wants?"

"Well, he has been thinking of asking you for some time. He's quite shy..."

Rhea laughed. That big bag of muscles was shy? "Well, when he gets the courage, I will be ready to listen."

She had two men at home; she wasn't planning on chasing any more.

"Then, see you at Christmas!"

"See you at Christmas, Muir!"

The bird flew away. Rhea sat in her own thoughts. Her arm landed over her eyes, covering them up as she tried to calm her breathing down. She almost died yesterday. Being somewhere with no adequate medical intervention was terrifying. In her world, this wouldn't have been an issue, but here... it was like walking on a tightrope. She was anxious. What was the point of having strength if she would just die anyway?