[Chapter 27] My husband is always right

Leo's room was cool and comforting. Light purple curtains covered the open arches, and the summer breeze filtered in steadily, bringing in the sweet scent of blooming flowers. Rhea sat picking at the grapes on the low table, her mind distant as she recounted her recent experiences.

"I think I love him," she said finally after narrating her encounter with Bluepool, the merman.

Leo raised an eyebrow. "I could have told you that for free. Why go to a fish?" He looked at her like she had done something embarrassing. If she were any lighter, her blush would have been too obvious.

"It's hard to tell your friends stuff like that, ya know?" She tried to justify her actions, but even she knew it sounded weak.

He hummed in understanding, leaning back on his cushion. "That's why shit like Omegle exists."

"Omg Omegle! What a throwback," she said, laughing. "Funnily enough, it doesn't exist here anyway."

He gasped dramatically, his hand flying to his chest as if he was shocked to his core. "No way! Why?"

"Predators," she replied, her tone serious for a moment before they both sighed.

"Oh yeah," he said, nodding. "Shit, I miss our world."

"Who doesn't? But I think I am okay with staying here now," she admitted, her voice softer, more contemplative.

He looked at her for a moment, studying her expression. "What Curtis did..." He hesitated, not knowing how to broach the subject delicately. He was aware that Curtis was hiding, listening, but unable to face Rhea directly. Leo was the middleman, trying to probe her feelings.

She waved him off. "It's fine. You get used to stuff like that. It's just how men are sometimes."

Leo's eyes darkened at her response. That's not normal, he thought but didn't say aloud.

She noticed his subtle change in expression and added, "I forgive him, Leo. It's fine."

Leo nodded apprehensively. He wasn't okay with it, but if she didn't want to push it, he wouldn't either. "You know, if you want to leave the Black Wind Tribe, you can always leave. I will take over for you."

Her heart warmed at his words, knowing he meant it sincerely.

She beamed at him. "No, I love this place. I know I can leave, but I want to do my best for them. And I want to make a place for Harley to grow up well cherished. A place she can run wild and be a spoilt little princess. I want this place to be her home."

Leo's heart softened. "So, what are you going to do now with Curtis? Are you going to confess?"

Her face heated up. "I think I will. He is my husband. If he doesn't feel loved, I'm doing a bad job."

Leo nodded in understanding. "And Winston?"

"I'll have to apologise to him. I can't take him as my mate if Curtis is unhappy with it."

Leo remained quiet for a second but then turned to the curtains blocking the sky from their view. "Do you hear that?"

Rhea was confused for a moment before a figure moved behind the curtains, and Curtis stepped inside.

"Curtis?"

He looked guilty, his eyes avoiding hers. He walked to Rhea and hesitated, unsure if she would let him touch her. "I'm sorry," he said, his voice trembling. "I shouldn't have forced you..."

She looked at him, her gaze softening as she saw the vulnerability in his eyes. Her hand cupped his face, and he finally met her eyes. Her touch was warm, filled with the tenderness he felt he didn't deserve at that moment.