[Chapter 24] My beloved

The palace bustled with an unusual excitement that day, as news of an unexpected visitor had spread like wildfire. The Peacock Prince, renowned for his beauty, was arriving at the Black Wind Tribe to discuss trade and alliances. The entire tribe was abuzz with preparations for the grand banquet to be held in his honour.

Rhea spent the morning in meetings, discussing the village's progress and upcoming projects with Leo and Korrin. Harley, however, was unusually quiet, trailing behind her mother with a pensive look on her face.

She reached up to tug her mother's dress. Rhea looked down at the girl, her short blonde hair tied into two pigtails by Curtis.

"Mummy, I'm bored. Can I go and play?"

"You are the princess, Harley. You have to follow me today. You can play tomorrow."

Harley frowned, and Rhea pursed her lips. "Actually, it's fine. Just go and play."

Harley felt her mother's disappointment, and her eyes teared up.

Leo watched the two. "I'll accompany the princess," he said.

"Thank you, Leo," Rhea said, feeling relieved.

Leo carried the little girl in his arms and left Rhea's office.

"You shouldn't have said that. You know how your mother is like," he said with a sigh.

"Uncle Leo, do you think Mummy likes me?" she asked quietly.

"Of course she does. Your mummy loves you very much," Leo said reassuringly. "She's just really busy recently. Don't mind her."

Harley said nothing. If Uncle Leo said her mother loved her, then it must be true.

"Uncle Leo, did Mother love my father?"

"She loved him very much."

"Even more than Daddy?"

Leo laughed nervously. How was he meant to answer such an awkward question?

"Harley, your mother wants you to grow up strong, so don't worry about things like that. It will only upset you."

Harley nodded.

Uncle Leo was the best, after all.

Rhea stared at the papers on her desk. She should have been nicer to her own daughter. She knew that logically, but whenever she saw her face, she felt uncomfortable all over.

"What was that?" When Leo came back, it was the first thing he asked her. "Harley is just a child. Deal with your shit."

"I know. I'm sorry."

"What's the point of saying that to me?" He was frustrated. He knew she was trying, but it wasn't enough. Doing damage control all the time wouldn't last forever. "I think you need a break Rhea."

.

The grand hall was adorned with beautiful banners, the banquet table laden with the finest foods and drinks the tribe had to offer. As the sun began to set, casting a warm glow over the gathering, the Peacock Prince arrived, his entourage trailing behind him. His presence was magnetic, his peacock feathers shimmering in the evening light, capturing the awe and admiration of everyone present.

Rhea greeted him warmly, her natural grace and authority shining through. "Welcome, Prince Alva. We are honoured to have you here."

"Thank you, Queen Rhea," Prince Alva replied with a charming smile. "Your reputation precedes you. I am eager to discuss how our tribes might benefit from each other."

The evening progressed smoothly, filled with laughter, music, and the clinking of glasses. Yet, amidst the celebration, Rhea watched absentmindedly. The first feast they had, Harvey was here. Her smile didn't quite reach her eyes.