C H A P T E R - 16

Mayra

Mayra

It's been a week since I got the enrollment letter from the Goenka's. I was happy and excited when I told that to mumma and Iti. She seemed happier too.

But I never planned to stay at Iti's home before two weeks of the semester's beginning. My typical mother called Iti's mother-in-law telling her about my college. She congratulated me and was ready to have me at their house.

"Mayra" someone snapped in front of me and I jolted awake "Yeah?" mumma gives me a concerning look "What are you thinking about?" I huffed a long breath scanning around the room. My suitcase was left open while my dresses laid on the bed.

Mumma was folding some of them and tucking them in my suitcase. "Nothing" she stops and leaves the dress unfolded to come sit by me "Are you nervous about your college?" I lazily shake my head and get up "No mumma I'm okay" nevertheless she grabs me by the wrist "You're going to start a new life and you shouldn't be nervous at all considering Iti is going to be there for you anytime you need her".

"I know mumma" she smiles and with one finger she lifts my chin up "I just want both of my daughters to be happy and wholesome. Promise me you'll take care of yourself there and take care of your sister too" that puts a smile onto me too.

After some short chats mumma leaves and I tie up all the mess and cleaned my room. My flight wasn't before six so I decided to take a quick nap as last night wasn't much peaceful for me.

I was about to fall on my bed but checked my phone instead. A notification shows a text from Iti two hours ago Call me whenever you're free. I changed my plans about sleeping and dialed her number.

The ring died but I tried again and this while someone picked "Hello?" I said. For some good seconds she didn't say anything "Look who's calling" I remember that voice crystal clear. That devil's spawn.

"Why do you have her phone?" he huffs and I grit my teeth in annoyance "She's my bhabhi. Of course I can have her phone" I rolled my eyes for the nth time. In the entire world he's alone to make me wish to do bad things like really bad things.

"No you don't" some shuffling sounds from the other side "I don't need to proof bunny" it appears he's lying somewhere on the bed
"Stop calling me bunny" no answer for close to a minute
"I'll be waiting bunny" before I could answer I heard some mumbling from his background.

The way he said I'll be waiting doesn't sound pleasing at all, it's more like he's warning me not to be in his territory.

I'm not afraid of him. Neither of his empty threats.

"Mayra??" suddenly Iti was on the call "Yeah where have you been?" she exhales before answering "Nothing I went for shopping with maa" I hummed "What were you and Aarav talking?" I hate talking about him or to him. "Just about college" Iti shouldn't know about our unmatched personalities.

"Okay. Anyway are you excited? new place new life. Because you don't know how much I am. We can practically live together again Mayra!" she chimes happily "I know right".

We chat some more before someone calls for her "I need to go Mayra. Take care. And have a safe journey. I'm waiting!" after that we hung up.

three hours passed in a blur and we were at the airport.

"Call me as soon as you land there okay" papa pats my head and mumma catches me for our fifth embrace "Take care baby" I palm her cheeks "I will. You guys should too. Dadi ko bhi mai call krti rhungi" (I will. You guys should too. I'll call Dadi on my free time too) with the last goodbye hug I dragged my stuff with me.

I passed my flight time with music and books. The best combo according to me.

I was told someone would come pick me up so after landing I went for the waiting area. I hope whoever Suvy maa sent would be able to recognize me.

I was halfway through my book so I decided to read to pass my time again. The passengers from my flight have left one by one and I was alone waiting while the others were waiting to board.

It was eleven going to be twelve soon, I thought of calling Iti but my phone was on four percent. The tiredness took hold of me and I decided to wait for some more minutes. 

I suddenly felt to use the washroom. I grabbed my stuff and headed towards the restroom.. it was empty thankfully. I left my luggage at a corner and went for a cubicle.

After few seconds someone raked their knuckles on the door of the cubicle. "Someone's in here" I answered before resuming. The knocking started again this while little more eagerly.

"Please wait" I was sure the washroom was empty why can't they use another cubicle. I unlatched the door but to my surprise there was no one.

I swiftly washed my hands and my face to wipe off the dizziness and walked back with my luggage. On the entrance of the washroom I bumped into a solid figure, his stubble making him appear older "I'm sorry" the man only intensified his glares on me. 

Why was he heading into the ladies washroom? he took another step in my direction and I took mine back. A staff walked in on us "Excuse me sir? do you need something?" that old jerk breaks the stare looking confused "No I was just lost" and then backs off to move in opposite direction.

I released a long breath, my heart was thumping so hard for many reasons and I wasn't ready to consider any one of them right now.

Enough I'll just take a taxi from here I hope its not too late for that. I dragged my luggage through the waiting area when someone caught my attention.

My anger was on top of the world and any of my thoughts weren't making sense. As soon as I neared him I pushed on his shoulders real hard even though I was a sparrow against him but he still tumbles back two three steps.

"Are you crazy?" I was seizing my breath and passed my gaze from Aarav to other passengers. He was confused. What was I thinking? why was I so scared? but anyway he was to be blamed.

"Were you not suppose to pick me by ten??" he dusts off his shoulder as if I was some dust mite.

"Were you expecting me? I thought you knew me better Mayra" he plays nonchalance and tries to walk away. "Then why did you came?"

He stops midway and turns only his head. His eyes were different this time like he was really looking at me "I never leave a girl all alone. And after good calculations I believe you are a girl too"

I slowly shut my eyes and did the breathing exercise to calm my anger. I grabbed my luggage and passed by him. A month with him will be a hell of a month.

Good luck Mayra.