C H A P T E R - 42

Mayra

Mayra

I'm so excited to begin with my day. It's been two days since we returned from the trip to Goa, and I can still feel the exhaustion gnawing my bones.

Now that today is my first day of college I'm kind of half nervous that it's so hard to stomach breakfast. "I'll cut you some apples then" Iti passes by me towards the kitchen counter. I already told her I'm not having breakfast because I'll likely throw it all out.

It has been my habit ever since I was introduced to nervous energies. I don't react well to them. 

I followed Iti inside the kitchen "Don't bother with-" her glares were enough to shut me up entirely and then Suvy maa approached us "Oh Mayra here you are" she encircles her arms around my shoulder.

"Morning maa" I pass her a smile, I found it awkward to call her maa before but ever since she met me she insisted I call her maa because she said 'You're as much my daughter as Muku, Iti and Akki are'.. with passing time I've grown to see her more as a mother figure than just Iti's mother-in-law.

"Morning baccha. All set for first day?" her eyes shown genuine concern "Yes. A bit nervous but good" I pull up a smile and she pats my hair. 

In the meantime Sharan joins us in the kitchen with a mug of coffee in his right hand "Morning ladies" he grins at us and then pulls open the fridge door.

"I'll go check on others" maa walks out the kitchen briefly smacking Sharan on his head and he groans peeking out of the freezer's door chewing on pure ice.

I was muffling my laugh when Iti passes me a plate full of apples and I stuffed two altogether in my mouth "Hey bhabhi" I instantly twirled around to face the sink as Aarav strolls in the kitchen.

"Hey Aarav" she replies and I groan internally avoiding him as my mouth was stuffed with two big pieces that it was hard to munch and swallow them quickly.

He smoothly pulls himself up on the kitchen counter next to the sink and I angled my head away from his direction. My jaw hurts from all the fast chewing that I almost hit my gums. Freakin Apples. I hate them.

"What are you cooking bhabhi?" thankfully he avoids me to talk to Iti and I use the opportunity to slip out of the kitchen when someone comes in again "Hello Mayra" my gaze trailed from his perfect suit to the perfect tie and then that perfect face. Manav jiju stops me on my track "Hey jiju" I slowly shut my eyes. cursing my stupid luck then turning to face the two engrossed duo.

Manav jiju's arm slings on my shoulder as he pulls a sweet smile while looking down at me.. seriously these Parihaar genetics are on a different level. "All the best for your first day" he says and then extends his attention towards the other two.

"Aren't you late?" he complies to Aarav who's rocking his legs hanging from the counter "Colleges are open until five O'clock brother" he pulls a mock smile. I bit the inside of my cheeks as Manav jiju drills holes onto his brother's body.

And it seems Aarav realizes that as he jumps off the counter and in a one swift motion steps in and kisses Iti on his cheeks "Bye bhabhi." he grins as Iti shoos him away with her own laugh.

I tried not to flinch as the person standing next to me growls and goes tense. Iti too felt that as she avoids his gaze moving on the opposite side of the kitchen to borrow something.

I followed out after Aarav excusing the couple, the dinning table was occupied entirely as I went to fetch my backpack.

"Where's Moksha and Adi?" I asked looking around and found them nowhere in sight "They're not ready yet. You guys should leave" aunt Shorbari answers getting up to check on her two notorious spawns.

Why is it always that I end up with Aarav. 

Things had been better between us these past days but I don't know what went wrong that after the trip back he's avoiding me or more like not caring if I'm around.

I exited the house and found him already reaching for his McLaren parked under a shed. Its my first time traveling in his own car. I've noticed from a great time that he adores his car so much and equally cares for it as a mother would.

"Again Mayra I'm not your driver" he curtly gestures me to sit on the passenger one just as I realized I was going for the back seat, or maybe it was on purpose to see if he would call me for that. He did. So technically he's not ignoring me.

I settled and was about to pull the belt on me but he revved the car swiftly not caring about the safety at all. I felt the fear dropping from my chest to my stomach as the vibrations of the engine swiftly crawled up to my core. I ignored the feeling and did not name it.

He comparatively drove faster today and for all the ride he didn't spare me a single glance. It's not like I was staring at him, I happened to observe.

In not time we reached our campus and he parks at a decent location. I unfastened my belt but he was already out of the car so I quickly unlatched the door hopping out while managing not to drop the backpack in the process.

"If you don't come within five minutes after the dispersal. I'll leave" he conveys his orbs glowing darkly that I have to remind myself not to flinch or step back. "I can find my ride back home" he doesn't reacts but steps away and leaves.

I breathed out the extra energy building in my stomach becoming too aware of the audience around me. All the students now gawked at me like I'm some mystery. Is it normal for freshers?

With a lot of struggle and ignorance I managed to find my first class room.. it went great if we minus the part where students couldn't stop staring at me or visibly comment something about me to their seat partners. Seriously?

After the lecture I had nothing on my schedule except for one other in an hour. With the help of the crowd I found the cafeteria searching around for Moksha or maybe Adi.

I didn't see them even in the hallway but I did saw Sherlyn. She walked down the hallway opposite to the cafeteria and Aarav too was nowhere to be seen fortunately.

I texted Moksha to come to the cafeteria if she's free when someone knocked on my desk. I looked up to find not one or two but three boys in bandana and leather jackets "Ms fresher what's your name?" the one in the middle questions acquiring a seat next to mine.

"Mayra" I said, not hinting my nervousness or the sweat now pooling under my palms. "Sweet name" he rakes a tongue over the front of his tooth pulling a gross smile "Myself Naman. Second year business" he goes on not minding my utter lack of interest.

He stretches his arm behind my chair as the two other pull the chairs in front of us and settle around the table. Gosh why won't they shut up and leave.

"I believe you don't have a boyfriend" he adds, his attention wholly on my thigh.. and he makes no attempt at hiding it. I pull the hem of the dress down while glaring him.

"Why wouldn't I?" I say feigning bravado and he smirks "I don't care sweet love" I visibly cringed at that nick name.

A fourth student near Naman's age comes running around the table and bends down to whisper something to him that made him stand instantly.

His gaze flicks to the person who was talking to him and then he watched me.. all the earlier smugness wiped away "You.. I.. I'm sorry. Would you mind not telling this to any of your friends" he adds so cautiously looking around the cafeteria.

Just as their group left my table my gaze stretched towards the entrance where Aarav, Adi, Reyan and Moksha entered. All the heads snapped towards them as the green head spots me and jogs in my direction. 

But I was staring at someone behind. Someone who's eyes were pinned on Naman scooted on a desk at a far corner.