9- Playbook

Celina and Sara were lingering a lot in the changing room. 'I'm going, see you soon.' Lucy said when she was ready. She closed her locker and walked out. 'So how long should we keep this secret?' Sara asked carefully as she attached her tie to her uniform. 'I don't know, as long as we can, we're rookies.' Celina responded. She turned towards Sara and took a step closer. 'And rookies are not supposed to date each other.' She added whispering. 'Is that really a rule?' 'More like a strong advice that can get you disciplined when not followed.' Celina answered. 'Okay, under the radar it is then.' Sara whispered back. While talking, they left the changing rooms into the roll call room. Lucy watched them from a distance, smiling. She was sitting on one of the desks and looked pretty happy.

'Be careful. You don't want to become a third wheel.' A voice behind her said. It was Angela with Nyla beside her. 'Don't worry about me. I'm happy they found each other.' Lucy responded without taking her eyes off Celina and Sara, scared they would fall apart as soon as she did. 'And... Have you confronted them yet?' Nyla continued. 'Yes I did and they will kill me if they find out that I told you, so if you want to live you let me live too.' She pointed her finger strictly at them, but her face was still smiling. 'Fine, we won't. As long as you keep us updated.' 'I can do that, but I need to go. See you at lunch?' Lucy asked as she stood up. 'Yes, you then.' Angela replied as she and Nyla walked to their desks too.

After roll call, Sara, Celina and Lucy set up their shops. 'Boot hurry up, we got a new case. We need to go.' Tim shouted. He walked away as soon as he saw Lucy. Lucy stared at the place he just stood. She couldn't stop thinking about him. The things Sara told her yesterday made her question herself. 'Sara wait.' Lucy softly grabbed her by the shoulder before she could walk away. 'Can you tell Bradford something?' She asked. 'Yea, of course.' 'Can you tell him that I only want to borrow his playbook? I don't want to keep it, just borrowing it for a couple w's.' Sara frowned. A frown that turned into a laugh. 'What? Is that some kind of code? What does it mean?' 'Please just tell him. Tell him that I only want to borrow his playbook for a couple w's. I promise I will give it back.' Lucy repeated. 'Fine, I'll tell him something about a playbook. See ya at lunch?' Sara grinned as she quickly made her way to the shop.

'Where have you been? If I say hurry up, you come immediately.' Tim started arguing. 'I'm sorry sir, I was just trying to-' Sara wanted to explain but Tim didn't give her the chance. 'I don't want to hear your fake excuse. Get in the shop.' He shouted but Sara didn't move. 'Sir, You can shout at me all you want, but I think you want to hear this.' 'Fine, what is it?' He sighed. 'Lucy wanted me to give you a message.' Immediately Tim dropped his anger. 'What did she say?' He asked in a tense tone. 'She said and I quote: "Tell him that I only want to borrow his playbook? I don't want to keep it. I just need it for a couple w's." I have no idea what it means, but she said you'd understand.' Sara explained. She saw his facial expression change when she said it.

He knew what it meant. It was the metaphor Lucy used to break up with Chris, so they could start dating. He had suggested it and over time it became their thing. Only wanting to borrow someone's playbook meant that she just needed her space. If she said borrowing it for a couple w's, it meant that she needed at least a couple weeks before she could talk to him. It gave him peace to know. She wasn't mad at him, she just wasn't ready yet. 'I know what it means. Thank you, now get in. We have a pretty important case.' He said, way calmer than normal. Sara nodded and got in. 

Next part: October 26th 2024