thirty-seven.

On the Monday of the week following Jessica's time in North Carolina, Jessica headed straight to WXIN that morning. She walked into Julie's office and closed the door behind her, earning a look from her godmother and former boss.

"Jessica, how was North Carolina?" Julie asks.

"It was fine, the jersey retirement was great," Jessica states.

"That's good," Julie says as she leans back in her seat, clicking her pen, "So are you here to clean out your desk?"

"I am not," Jessica states.

"No?" Julie asks.

"No," Jessica responds, "I have decided I'm going to stay. I've further decided that I'm going to stay with the Fever."

Julie's lips curl up in a smirk, "Is that so?"

"Yes, it is," Jessica states as she sits on the edge of Julie's desk, "You gave me the gift that is Caitlin Clark. I took that gift, and Caitlin and I did something amazing. WXIN is now the news source for all things Caitlin. It would be rather unfortunate if you lost the only thing that made this new network stand out."

"I can hire someone else to interview Caitlin," Julie states.

"It'd be a sorry imitation," Jessica states, "Caitlin and I have chemistry. History too. There's a story there that people want to watch whether or not the rumors are true."

"And how can I trust that the two of you won't have another argument on live television?" Julie asks.

"Because the issue has been sorted out," Jessica responds.

Julie smiles, "Has it?"

"Yep," Jessica states as she slides off the desk, "So I will not be clearing out my desk and I will be sideline at the Fever game against Connecticut."

"Okay," Julie says, "But one last thing. Is there any truth to the rumors?"

"Yes," Jessica answers honestly.

"Jess, honey, cameras follow that girl everywhere. They're following you too now. If the two of you want to keep this private, be smart. You're in media, you know how this story plays out," Julie tells her.

"We'll be careful," Jessica says.

"It doesn't matter how careful you are when people want to know something, they'll figure it out. Is her career worth that witch hunt? Is your career worth that? Caitlin is their princess, she has so many people in her corner. They will not hesitate to make you their scapegoat."

"Caitlin wouldn't let that happen," Jessica says.

"She might not, but who is really in charge, her or her team?" Julie asks.

Jessica remembers the way Amy came in just throwing her weight around and the way that Caitlin just let her.

"Just something to think about," Julie says, "But I'm glad you're staying Jess."

"I promise I won't mess up," Jessica says.

Julie smiles at her, "I have no doubts about that. You're my best reporter."

"Always will be," Jessica says with a grin.

The Fever were playing the Suns again, but this time the vibe was different. The team had already played each other two times before and the Suns had managed to walk away with the win both times.

Jessica was sitting on the chairs designated as the bench when NaLyssa came over to her.

"I can't believe they let your ass back after what happened last time," NaLyssa says as she falls into the chair beside Jessica.