Mountain Hikes

The walk towards the top of the mountain was torturous to say the least. The chilly wind whipped on her cheeks painting them a rosy pink, they were wet from the snow that now coated her face and blond hair. She had placed a new glamor in her. Her hair was a dirty blond that only darkened with the snowflakes that melted on them. Her face was more elongated and more sharp and she was a few centimeters shorter than her usual height. When Graham saw her, he thought she was an intruder which resulted in a ridiculous fight and an even more ridiculous apology by him.

He had insisted to accompany her if not to her destination only to her portkey. She had purposely refused him. She had to be alone. People were watching her closely. And if they weren't already filled with prejudice and hostility, her often disappearance would have ringed many bells.

She was cursing under breath as she climbed higher and higher. She had to walk to the top of the mountain and not appart to her destination. Stupid protocols.

Who would be waiting for her? Where was she going? She hated this. The not knowing. She wanted to be in control, to plan ahead, to be one step ahead, to know what was waiting for her or at least have an inkling of it. Was she irration to want such a thing? Probably. Had she chosen the worst occupation for her demands? Most definitely. But she always made due with what she had in hand and was able to visualize her plans. To be ready for the next attack, the next criminal, the next victim.

She missed her old life. Thomas' elaborate plans that seemingly didn't make sense but he always was the first to greet her each morning with a cup of an overly sweet coffee, some coffee in her sugar as he called it, claiming that she needed to have some caffeine in her system all the time in a job like this. Theseus' character in general, his stern voice when he lead a team, now the whole department, how he always left food in her desk, mostly her favorites, hoe he always visited her after a tough case and stayed the night with her bending his body in awkward angles that made him look like a pretzel and much have caused serious back pain. Most of her sexist coworkers, she missed fighting with them. Was that crazy? She always liked to argue and defend herself since she had been a child. Her mother used to say that she had to stop, otherwise no one would want her as their bride. Her father everything she raised her voice sent her out of the house in some errand that she had to spend time at, minimum two hours, to "work" her anger out.

Mysteriously enough she never had such problems in Hogwarts. Yes, she still had her outbursts but they were far and in between yet still held the same intensity. The professors never scolded her for her character, because that was what it was, a part of her character. Hell she had been in detention only one time and that was on purpose to be with Theseus. Minerva's presence had been like a drug, always calming her down before a possible public outburst.

She could finally just see the top of the mountain. She took a heavy sigh and drew out of her coat pocket a flask filled with water, drinking just enough to wet her lips. The next two hours and a half were spent while she walked at her estimed destination, were she didn't know if that was actually the location of the portkey. If she walked five hours just to be wrong she was going to kill someone.

Her fingertips were freezing and almost felt that they would fall off. Her feet were numb and she didn't know if it was from the cold or because of the constant walking. She dreamed of a hot chocolate and raging fireplace. She wanted to say that the view from there was beautiful, but the snow that covered the scenery had hidden everything from her sight. She couldn't make out the way she had climbed up, only the last twenty meters or so. She could find something that stood out in the small space she arrived. Could the snow have covered it? Could she have been wrong?

Tears of frustration gathered in her eyes. No. She had done everything right. It had to be there. It just had to. She fell to her knees and dug around. Her hands were stinging from the cold, why would she forget her gloves now? Her hands were an angry red and she couldn't bend them any longer, her hands finally closed around a vibrating rock. This was it. She was right. She wiped her cheeks clean and spun the rock in front of her and as it turned into a peebled road she stepped inside. Awaiting for her next step