TPP : Chapter VI

The drop off was a place on the first floor of the building, it was in the very back and you only went there if you worked there. It was where all the packages and new things were dropped off, hence the name The Drop Off. At the moment there was nothing being dropped off so it was more of a hang out spot which is why Aubrey wanted to go down there, all of his homeboys were down there, as guys would say. There was a basketball hoop down there where they all casually shot hoops and had guy talk. They all gave greetings as Aubrey walked into the large garage type enclosure, there was a large metal garage door being held open that led out into nature. Thoughts of what would happen if she happened to run out came across her mind, not that she had a reason to run. She had no where to go, but in three months when the contract was up she knew exactly where she was going and that was no where but back to Texas.

She walked up with narrowed eyes and leaned against a pole as she watched the boys goof off. Aubrey glanced over at her and stopped before clearing his throat

"guys, i forgot. This is Nina."

He put a hand out as a gesture for them to look at her, they all stared quietly filling the room with awkwardness. She blew a bubble as they all said there hellos, some of them commenting on her outfit, some of them commenting on how cute she was. She ignored it all, not to be rude but she wants a people person. She didn't need for him to introduce her but she understood why he did, it would be kind of weird for them to think she was just some random chick constantly following him around. She sat down as they began a simple pick up game, she stared out of the opening and out into nature where she wishes she could be, she wishes she could go for a simple walk by herself in peace but that could never happen and she knew that for a fact. She brought the straw back to her lips and took in a sip of the cold clear liquid, her free hand made its way back up to her forearm, she set the can down and pushed the sleeve up to her elbow looking down at the black writing that began to fade. She would have rewrote it after her shower last night but she had no idea where he would have kept a permanent marker and she didn't want to leave the quietness of her room. She could make out the words because she saw and wrote them so much it was like the image was tattooed in her mind but she was scared that she would forget one day, so she always rewrote it no matter what. She stared down at all the numbers, all the letters and names, the street addresses and quantity numbers. It was information that held so much power and she felt it was unsafe to have it written on her arm where anybody could see it.

The time passed and the day went on, basketball game after basketball game. She was fine with that though, she had no problems with that. It gave her a chance to sit and not have to worry about people wanting to hold conversation, she didn't have to worry about what she would have to say if someone asked her a question. She didn't have to worry. Until lunch time of course, it was Aubrey's lunch break so that meant it was her lunch break, if it was Aubrey's restroom break it was her restroom break, she did everything he did for the simple fact that she had no choice.

"So what are you in the mood for? Anything sound good to you?"

She sat shot gun in the front seat of the car, waiting for him to start it up and start driving just so she could feel the wind in her hair again. She looked over at him as he waited patiently for her answer to the question

"You like cafe food? Theirs a nice little cafe around the corner, they have a really good grilled chicken sandwich."

She looked away from him and stared out of the car, she didn't really care where they went, as long as they went. Finally after what felt like hours, he started up the car with ease and began to back out. She smiled to herself as he began to drive

"You like cars, i can tell. You get happy when we ride in the car, or is it just because this is a convertible?"

She didn't answer, just sat up straight as he sped up. The wind picked up and blew her straight hair everywhere just how she had been wishing for, he didn't talk for the rest of the ride thank god. He was interesting, she didn't really understand him even though she read a lot about him. He continued to try and hold conversation, he continued to try to learn about her even though she turned him down every time. They pulled into the parking lot of the cafe he was talking about, she pulled off her seat belt as he turned off the ignition, she waited patiently as he got out of the car

"You can get out now, Nina."

She got out of the car slowly, he was watching her with every move she made. It made her a bit uncomfortable for some reason when just a few hours ago she had no problems with it, her heart sped up a bit and her breath got caught in her throat as she approached him, he looked down on her as she try her hardest not to look up at him

"im a vegetarian...i don't eat grilled chicken sandwiches....."

And with that she walked in the cafe leaving him with one fact out of about a billion.