Hotel Winchester Pt 2 (Hotel Manager AU)

The Brothers Winchester exited the back doors of the hotel and wound their way through the beautifully landscaped grounds to the sand of Lake Huron. Looking out over the placid lake, Dean spoke first.

"I don't know what to think, Sam. And you know I don't like admitting that."

"Yea, well, I know Cas is telling the truth. I saw it in that vision and it was the kind of "seeing" that you know is real. This life feels real too. That's why it's so weird." They took a seat at a wrought iron table on the patio."

A woman approached the table and set down a small tray of appetizers in front of Sam and Dean. "Compliments of Chef Harry. I think it's an act of contrition for being so snippy." She sat down opposite the men. Dean began to speak but then stopped himself; Sam just regarded her silently. She had shoulder length sable hair with a coppery cast when the sun hit it, and wide gray eyes. She looked young but wise at the same time and neither man recognized her.

"Since we do the hiring here, we would know that you are not employed at this hotel." Sam showed no sign of distress or irritation, but rather a little intrigue.

"Correct."

"And you are...?"

"My name is Ezri."

"Hello, Ezri, my name is Sam, and this is my brother, Dean."

"Yes, I know."

Dean was losing patience with the exchange. "Ok, Ezri, enough cat and mouse. What's up with you? What's your story? The last employee I didn't recognize turned out to be an angel."

"Yes, well I am your Spirit Guide, Dean. Yours and Sam's."

"A Spirit Guide, but not a spirit, an actual person. And we share one? Aren't we supposed to each get our own?"

"Yea, most do. But not you two. Budget cuts I guess."

"Geezus."

Sam waved Dean off. "What is your part in this mess, Ezri?"

Dean's aggravation was reaching a boiling point, "And what do we need a spirit guide for when we have an Angel? Isn't that like sending a hospital janitor to assist a surgeon?"

Ezri's eyebrows shot up. "Wow. What a dickish comment. But fair enough, I guess. You're right, I can't work the magic an angel can; I come when you need comfort and emotional support."

"The "let's hug it out" brigade! I've friggin' heard it all. If I need comfort I'll go get spiritually realigned at Kevin's yoga class." Dean stood up and left abruptly.

Sam sighed deeply. "Never mind him. He's just rude."

Ezri smiled. "No worries, Sam. I come with what's needed when I'm needed. I'll come to Dean when he needs me."

Sam nodded, then hesitated. "Well, then I guess that means you're here for me."

"This time. Yes."

"Why me?"

"Because you may have the most struggle with leaving this life for another. You are comfortable living a stable life. In fact, the life you will be trying to return to, a life of uncertainty and danger with no place to call home and no partner to lay with at night, isn't the one you would have chosen.