Talking To The Moon (SteveRogersxreader)

"This isn't healthy for him! It needs to stop." Tony said to the Avengers minus Steve.

       "Tony, leave him alone. He's grieving right now." Bruce said, tiredly.

       "It's been two years, Bruce. She's gone. Nothing is going to bring her back. Have you seen the gossip magazines and the social media sites? They think he's gone insane and I'm starting to think the same thing." Tony argued.

       "Haven't you lost someone you cared about, Tony? It's his way of dealing with it." Natasha joined in the argument.

       "I was fine with it. I was able to look past it. But that woman that he had been seeing is making it look like he should be locked up in an asylum. Don't tell me that none of you had thought this?"

       They all shifted awkwardly at that.

       It was true.

       Steve had a strange habit of talking to the moon every night. Sometimes they would hear him laugh and act like it was talking to him. It all started the day he lost Peggy Carter, his first love.  

       They didn't understand why he did it but gave him his space. 

       They never questioned him about it until recently.

       They had been finally relieved when Steve had started seeing a woman named Ophelia Stewart. They had hope that their friend would finally move on. Steve had opened his heart to her and confided in her what he did every night.

       He thought he could trust her.

       They all did.

       But the day after he shared his pain with her, she broke his heart by selling her story to every media outlet willing to listen to her.

       Now it was all over the newsstands...

       "Captain America has gone insane!"

       "Captain talks to his beloved beyond the grave!"

       SHIELD tried to stop it but the damage had been done. The news was everywhere now.

       Clint sighed as he joined in the argument.

       "Tony, it's not his fault what she did. He thought he could trust her."

       "It still doesn't change the fact that it's still going on. He either needs to seek help or..."

       Before Tony could finish his sentence, a voice interrupted him.

       "Or what, Tony?" Steve asked, glaring at the man.

       Everyone turned to look at him, guilt and pity on their faces.

       Steve scoffed at their looks, shaking his head.

       "I'm out of here." Steve said to no one as he began to walk away.

       No one made a move to stop him. 

       They watched him go while Natasha hit the backside of Tony's head.

       Steve sniffled as he sat on a bench near the lake in Central Park. 

       The moon shined brightly above him.

       "Why don't they understand, Peggy? I'm not going crazy." he said, looking up.

       For as long as Steve could remember, he would talk to the moon when he was missing someone. Having lost his father at a very young age, his mother always encouraged Steve to talk to him at night when the moon shined extra brightly. So he did.