Chapter 50

Ananya beamed, her smile as bright as the flowers they had arranged. "I told you! We're all a big family here."

Natasha's heart softened at the words. Family. Maybe that was what she had been searching for all along. And here, in this quiet village with these kind people, she had finally found it.

______________________________________

Yuvaan stood frozen in front of the Mahadev's temple, its ancient stone structure standing tall in the vastness of the desert, almost as if the universe itself had conspired to bring him back to this very place. The weight of the memories came crashing down on him as he gazed at the temple-the same temple where he had forcefully married Natasha. The mere thought of that night sent a shiver through him. The wedding had been rushed, filled with tension, anger, and defiance, but now, standing here, something felt different. It wasn't the circumstances that had changed; it was Yuvaan himself.

Though he had always believed in the existence of God, worship had never been a priority for him. Life had made him hard, driven, far removed from the realm of faith and spirituality. But now, here he was, standing at the steps of the Mahadev's temple, feeling a pull that he couldn't explain. It was as if the weight of his sins and regrets had led him here, as if he could no longer carry them alone. With each step he took towards the temple, he felt the heavy burden of his past mistakes settle deeper in his chest.

The sun was beginning to set, casting long shadows over the temple's façade. The golden light danced off the stone carvings, making it look ethereal. Yuvaan slowly climbed the temple's worn-out stone stairs, each step echoing in the quietness of the evening. The wind, once hot and abrasive, now carried a cooler breeze, as if the desert itself was offering him a moment of solace. As he stepped inside, he was greeted by the scent of incense lingering in the air, swirling gently around the deity of Lord Mahadev. The sound of bells rang faintly in the distance, their gentle chimes adding to the solemn atmosphere.

At the altar, the temple's priest-Pandit ji-was deep in prayer, his eyes closed in devotion as he offered flowers to the idol of Mahadev. Noticing Yuvaan's presence, the old man slowly turned, his kind eyes lighting up with curiosity. It wasn't often that someone new visited the temple, especially at this hour.

"Young man, what brings you here?" Pandit ji asked, his voice filled with a calm wisdom that only years of spiritual practice could grant.

Yuvaan hesitated for a moment, unsure how to articulate the storm inside him. He wasn't the kind of man to confess, especially not to a stranger. But something about the place-the weight of his own emotions-compelled him to speak.

"I need to ask Mahadev for something," Yuvaan replied slowly, his voice barely above a whisper. His usual confidence was replaced with something far more vulnerable.

Pandit ji studied him for a moment before stepping aside, making way for Yuvaan to approach the idol. "Ask whatever you want, but remember-what you ask for must come from a pure heart, with good intentions."

Yuvaan nodded, swallowing hard. He wasn't sure if his intentions were good or selfish, but he knew one thing: he couldn't live without Natasha. His heart had finally accepted what his pride had fought against for so long. Closing his eyes, he clasped his hands together in prayer, a gesture he hadn't made in years. The flickering flames of the oil lamps illuminated the idol of Mahadev, casting a soft glow around the deity as if the divine was listening, waiting.

"Mahadev..." Yuvaan began, his voice trembling. "I have never asked you for anything in my life. I have lived by my own rules, without thinking of right or wrong, without considering the consequences of my actions." His throat tightened as the weight of his past mistakes bore down on him. "But here I am today, asking for your help. I know... I was never a good believer. I never gave you the devotion you deserved."