Chapter 12

Tomorrow was supposed to be the worst day of her life. But now, Natasha wasn’t sure if she would make it to the altar at all.

_________________________________________

The unending rays of the sun, which had painted the sky golden for hours, finally decided to hide beneath the horizon, cloaking the morning in a cool, muted light. The air was crisp, filled with the quiet anticipation of a new day, but for the Singhanias and Pillais, this day was far from ordinary. It was the day they had all been waiting for.

Rudra descended the grand staircase of the Singhania Palace, his footsteps light yet purposeful. His eyes scanned the room, landing on the dining table, where he noticed an odd scene. Abhimanyu, cold and unreadable as ever, sat rigidly at one end, his sharp eyes fixed on Ruhanika, who was sitting at the other end, completely oblivious to his gaze. She was flipping through a stack of papers, her brow furrowed in concentration.

Rudra paused mid-step, his curiosity piqued. He had only known Abhimanyu for a week, but in that short time, he had learned enough to know that Abhimanyu was a man who rarely let his guard down. Cold, calculating, and composed, he wasn’t the type to show interest in anyone or anything—at least not so openly. On the other hand, Ruhanika was a whirlwind of energy and joy, her bubbly personality infecting everyone around her. The contrast between them was stark, yet there was something in the air between them that Rudra couldn’t ignore.

"Good morning," Rudra greeted, his voice breaking the silence in the room.

"Good morning, Rud," both Abhimanyu and Ruhanika replied, their voices oddly synchronized.

Rudra's eyes flicked from one to the other, an amused smile curling on his lips. He made his way over to Abhimanyu and casually dropped into the seat next to him, leaning in slightly with a playful grin. “I can smell something cooking,” he teased, his voice low but mischievous.

Abhimanyu shot him a puzzled glance. “What are you talking about?”

Rudra’s grin widened. “Is it love?”

“Love? What love?” Abhimanyu’s voice carried a hint of confusion, but Rudra could see a flicker of something in his eyes—something he wasn’t supposed to notice.

Rudra didn’t say anything more, just kept grinning, a knowing expression dancing across his face. “You can’t hide anything from me,” he whispered with a smug look.

Abhimanyu narrowed his eyes, clearly not appreciating being read so easily. "You—"

But before he could finish, Rudra interrupted, his tone playful yet firm. “You can escape anyone, but not me.”

A sigh escaped Abhimanyu, and for the first time, Rudra saw a hint of exasperation on the man’s usually stoic face. “Fine,” Abhimanyu admitted, his voice laced with resignation. “You’re right.”

A triumphant smile spread across Rudra’s face. “I knew it!” he said, unable to contain his glee. But then, as if remembering the gravity of the day, his smile faded, replaced by a more serious expression. He straightened in his seat, his eyes shifting from Abhimanyu to Ruhanika.

"So," Rudra began, his voice steady, "today is Yuvaan and Didi’s wedding. What’s the plan?"

At the mention of the wedding, the atmosphere in the room seemed to shift. Abhimanyu and Ruhanika exchanged glances, the weight of the day suddenly pressing down on them. Ruhanika took a deep breath, setting the papers aside as she turned to face Rudra.

“We need to act like Yuvraj’s family,” Ruhanika explained, her voice steady but serious. “Yuvaan is Yuvraj, you know that. Abhimanyu will be Yuvraj’s uncle, Raina will play the role of Yuvraj’s aunt, and Shivan and Shanaya will be his married cousins, Dev will be his brother. As for me,” she paused, glancing down at her hands for a moment before meeting Rudra’s gaze, “I’ll be his mother.”