Chapter 57

Yuvaan sat in his car, the engine humming low as he gazed out at the quiet village that stretched ahead. It was a far cry from the fast-paced life of the city and the grandeur of his estate, but he wasn’t here for comfort. He was here for her. Natasha.

Pulling the car to a stop, he stepped out, his boots crunching on the gravel as he took in his surroundings. The air was thick with the scent of earth and fresh leaves, the sound of distant chattering blending with the rustle of the wind. His gaze swept over the houses until it landed on a small, modest home. Her home. Yuvaan clenched his jaw, the familiar burn of unresolved emotions igniting in his chest.

The last time they had seen each other, it had been explosive—passion laced with anger, betrayal woven into their every word. And then she had disappeared, leaving him with nothing but divorce papers he couldn’t bring himself to sign. Now, here he was, ready to take the next step in this twisted dance of fate.

Yuvaan moved towards the neighboring house, where a group of villagers was gathered to help him settle in. He nodded curtly at them as they waved and offered help with his luggage. The house was simple, but functional—exactly what he needed to stay under the radar and close to Natasha. He wasn’t going to announce his arrival; no, that would ruin everything. He wanted her to come to him, to see the look on her face when she realized just how close he was.

Inside, the house was sparsely furnished, but Yuvaan didn’t care. He stood by the window, his eyes drawn to Natasha’s house again. The curtains fluttered slightly, and he thought he caught a glimpse of her shadow moving behind them. His pulse quickened.

She was right there.

As if on cue, the front door of Natasha’s house creaked open, and she stepped out, her hair catching the late afternoon sun. She was wearing a simple white dress, one that swayed with her every movement, but even in her calm appearance, Yuvaan could see the strength in her posture, the determination she always carried.

She hadn’t seen him yet. Not really.

But she would.

Yuvaan’s lips curved into a half-smile as he turned away from the window, already picturing the moment their eyes would meet. It wouldn’t be long now before she realized her past had followed her into this quiet, unassuming village. And when it did, Yuvaan knew there would be no running away this time.

Not for her. Not for him.

Yuvaan leaned against the doorframe, arms crossed, waiting. Every second felt like an eternity as he watched Natasha move through her small front yard, her hands brushing the flowers that lined the path. She had always loved simplicity, something he had never fully understood. He had given her a palace and a life of luxury, yet here she was, thriving in a world far removed from that.

Natasha paused, her eyes narrowing slightly as if sensing something was off. Yuvaan stiffened, his breath catching when she turned toward his house. For a moment, she just stood there, staring at the unfamiliar sight of her new neighbor’s home. Then, recognition hit her like a wave, and he saw it—the sudden stiffness in her body, the way her fingers gripped the fabric of her dress.

Her eyes met his. There was no mistaking the shock that flickered across her face, followed quickly by anger and disbelief.

Yuvaan pushed off the doorframe, stepping out onto the porch. "Hello, Firefly," he called, his voice low, almost taunting. He hadn’t called her that in years, but the effect was immediate. Natasha's jaw clenched, her expression hardening.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Her voice was sharp, cutting through the calm of the village like a blade.

Yuvaan shrugged, feigning nonchalance, though his heart pounded in his chest. "Moved in. Just thought I’d enjoy the peaceful village life. Imagine my surprise to find you living next door."