Chapter 53

Yuvaan stepped back into the cold night air, the darkness wrapping around him like a suffocating blanket. The temple had offered no solace, no answers. And as he climbed back into his car, he realized something that sent a fresh wave of despair crashing over him.

He was truly, utterly alone.

__________________________________

The golden rays of the early morning sun finally began to sink beneath the horizon of the village, disguising themselves under a soft blanket of warm pinks and oranges, signaling the bright start of a new day. Birds chirped in the distance as the village came to life, preparing for one of its most beloved festivals—Holi. The air was already filled with a festive energy, carrying the scent of fresh flowers and the sweet aromas of traditional dishes being prepared by the villagers. Today was a special day, a very special day.

Natasha stood in front of her mirror, adjusting the delicate dupatta draped over her shoulder. She wore a pristine white choli that fluttered slightly as she moved. The simplicity of the outfit contrasted beautifully with the red bangles that jingled on her wrists and the golden jhumkas that swayed from her ears. Silver anklets sparkled faintly as they adorned her feet, the gentle chime of the bells echoing with every step. Her long, wavy hair cascaded down her back, free and untamed, just like the spirit she had rediscovered in this village.

It's been three years since she had made this place her home. Three years since she had left behind the life that once felt suffocating. In this small village, she had found more than just shelter—she had found a family, a sense of belonging. The villagers, with their warmth and love, had woven themselves into the fabric of her life, becoming an inseparable part of her heart. They had seen her at her lowest and yet embraced her with open arms. Here, among these simple people, she had finally begun to heal.

Natasha smiled softly at her reflection, satisfied with her appearance. With one last glance at the mirror, she grabbed her phone from the bedside table and headed for the door. As she was about to close the main door behind her, a notification buzzed on her phone. She paused, sighed deeply, and unlocked the screen.

"You are looking beautiful, sweetheart."

The words glowed on the screen, sending a sudden shiver down her spine. Her breath caught in her throat as she instinctively looked around, her heart racing. But there was no one—only the stillness of the morning and the distant chatter of the village preparing for the festival. She stepped outside cautiously, still feeling the weight of unseen eyes on her. Her senses were on high alert. The breeze felt different—watchful, somehow.

Suddenly, she collided with someone. The impact startled her, breaking her from the strange feeling that had enveloped her. She stumbled backward, her mind racing, until she looked up and saw a familiar face.

"Reyaansh!" She exclaimed, half in relief, half in irritation.

Reyaansh grinned down at her, his usual mischievous smile lighting up his face. His unruly hair and casual demeanor made him look effortlessly carefree, just as he had been since the first day she met him—on the rooftop of her old apartment, of all places. She had never thought that a random encounter would lead to such a close friendship, but here they were, three years later. He was more than a friend now—he was family.

"Hey Rudy! Watch where you’re going next time," he teased, using the nickname he had given her. His tone was playful, but the warmth in his eyes spoke volumes about how much he cared for her.

"I’m not blind!" Natasha protested, pushing him lightly as she got up from the ground, brushing off her choli.

Before she could say anything more, Reyaansh’s hand suddenly shot forward, full of bright, vibrant colors. In one swift motion, he smeared the colors across her face, leaving her stunned. Her eyes widened in shock as she looked at him, speechless for a moment.