Chapter 26

Unable to contain their emotions any longer, Darshana and Rudra began to rush toward the stairs, intent on seeing Natasha with their own eyes. But Yuvaan's commanding voice stopped them in their tracks. "First, she needs treatment," he said, his voice low but laced with authority. "Then you can meet her."

......

Yuvaan paced anxiously outside the room, his eyes glued to the door, waiting for Raina to emerge after checking on Natasha. His mind raced with a thousand thoughts, the tension building in his chest. The minutes felt like hours as he struggled to remain still, his fists clenching and unclenching. He had never been this restless before, but something about Natasha's condition was gnawing at him. The weight of his past actions weighed heavily on him, making it hard to breathe. When would Raina come out and give him some answers?

His feet moved almost on their own, guiding him down the winding, narrow staircase leading to the basement. The air was thick and musty, the walls echoing the distant sounds of the mansion above, but here it was unnervingly quiet. His breath came out slow and deliberate as he reached the heavy iron door.

Two guards were stationed at the entrance. At his arrival, they straightened and bowed their heads in respect. Yuvaan acknowledged them with a brief nod before stepping into the dimly lit room. Subhash and Sita sat on a low wooden bench, their faces void of expression, illuminated by the flickering light from the lone bulb hanging above. Their silence was deafening, amplifying the tension in the room.

Yuvaan's eyes narrowed, his patience wearing thin. He had come for answers, and the refusal of the older couple to speak only fueled his frustration. He took a step forward, his voice low but filled with authority.

"Tell me more about her biological parents," he demanded, his gaze locked on them. But neither Subhash nor Sita stirred. They sat rigid, their eyes downcast, refusing to meet his gaze.

Yuvaan clenched his jaw, his temper fraying at the edges. "I said, tell me about her life!"

Still, there was no response. The growing silence pushed him over the edge. "JUST FUCKING TELL ME!" he bellowed, his voice bouncing off the concrete walls, making them flinch visibly. The sound of his fury reverberated through the basement, causing Sita to shudder as she finally raised her head.

Her voice, when it came, was shaky but laced with years of pain and regret. "M-me and Subhash... we got her when she was five years old. That little girl, she was so... broken. She was depressed, Yuvaan. Imagine-a five-year-old child, lost and drowning in her sorrow. We had been trying for years to have a child of our own... but I couldn't get pregnant." Her voice wavered, and she stole a quick glance at her husband. "We wanted a child so desperately. So when she came into our lives, it felt like... fate. We adopted her legally, and we gave her a name-Natasha Pillai. A name that was meant to carry power."

Yuvaan's heart sank as Sita's words filled the room, each sentence pressing down on him with a weight he hadn't anticipated. Natasha. A broken child taken in by this family, only to be cast aside later.

"We announced to the world that she was ours-our daughter, the next heir to the Pillai fortune. We raised her to inherit everything... until Darshana came along. When I got pregnant, everything changed. We had our own blood now. Natasha... she was no longer needed. But we couldn't just discard her without drawing suspicion, so we waited... waited for the right time to eliminate her." Sita's voice cracked with a mix of guilt and bitterness. "Then, Subhash found Yuvraj, a boy perfect for our plan. He would ruin her, break her beyond repair."

Sita's eyes shifted, suddenly sharp. "But then you came along, Yuvaan. You ruined everything by stepping into Yuvraj's shoes and marrying her."

Yuvaan's heart clenched. Every word Sita spoke felt like a dagger slicing into him, each revelation unraveling the tangled mess of his actions. He had believed Natasha to be a pawn in his grand scheme for revenge, but now, hearing this, his chest tightened with guilt. He had never intended to hurt her like this-never wanted to destroy the life of someone so innocent.