First potion lesson

Harry's first school week was the most interesting week he could remember. Suddenly Harry wasn't treated as scum anymore but as a hero for reasons he couldn't really grasp. He truly enjoyed the attention after his long life in the shadows. Everybody was nice to him and soon he had made lots of friends. He tried to spent his time equally with every single one of them and kept himself out of any conflict that might occur. Even his teacher were nice to him and treated him with deep respect. Therefore Harry came to like his classes and studied hard for them. He was eager to prove himself worthy and learn as much as he was allowed to. To everyone's surprise he preferred to stay silent most of the time and only to answer if he was directly asked. His life at the Dursleys had taught him to simply mind his own business. So the lessons went well and so he was utterly astonished as he met Snape. Potion lessons took place down in one of the dungeons. It was colder there than up in the main castle, and would have been quite creepy enough with the pickled animals floating in glass jars around the walls.

So one morning Gryffendor and Slytherin first years assembled in one of the laboratories. Everybody was quite nervous due to some rumors about the teacher who apparently was the most nasty and feared in Hogwarts. Anxiously Harry sat next to Hermione and waited tensed for Professor Snape to arrive. There was an immanent silence while the Gryffendors and their new fellow class mates, the Slytherins, stared at each other in disdain.

Suddenly the large doors which lead into the laboratory flew open and a tall man strode into the room. "There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science of the potion making: However, for those select few you who posses the pre-disposition. I can teach you how to bewitch the wind and ensnare the senses; I can tell you how to brew glory, bottle fame, and even put a stopper in death." Snape glanced over the students before he seated himself in front and then, like Flitwick, started the class by taking the rollcall, and like Flitwick, he paused at Harry's name. ""Ah, yes." He said softly. "Harry Potter. Our new celebrity." His eyes had no warmth and made you think of dark tunnels as they focused on Harry who tried to suppress a shiver. Snape stood up from his seat and emerged to the front. "Your are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion making." He began. "He spoke in barely more than a whisper, but they caught every word. Like Professor McGonagall, Snape had the gift of keeping a class silent without effort. "As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses. I can teach you all that if your aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." The whole time his black eyes didn't leave Harry who was eagerly writing down every single word Snape said. "Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel comfortable for not to pay attention." Snape raised his voice as he turned towards Harry: "Potter!" Snape said suddenly. "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel root to an infusion of wormwood? Stunned, Harry looked up. The man in black hair and black clothes was rather intimidating. Harry just gaped at him. He was the one in the shop. Harry couldn't believe it. "I take it you don't know?" Snape's lips curled into a sneer. "Tut, tut- fame clearly isn't everything. Let's try again. Potter, where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?" Harry still gaped at him in confusion. He hadn't even the chance to think about it. "Ehm- a bezoar is a stone you can find in a goat and therefore-" But Snape caught him in mid sentence. "Thought you wouldn't open a book before coming, eh, Potter?" Harry forced himself to keep looking into those cold eyes as he stated. "I did, professor. I just wasn't done answering."

But Snape ignored him. "Last chance for you. Please surprise me with your eloquence this time. What is the difference, Potter, between monshood and wolfsbane." Snape sneered. "I don't know, sir. Is this even in the first book?" Harry asked desperately. "For your information, it is something called general knowledge." Snape hissed and Harry felt shame burning his cheeks. Quickly he turned his gaze away. "Look at me, when I am talking to you." the professor snapped, Harry forced himself to look into the black, emotionless eyes. "And ten points will be taken from Gryffendor for your insolent behavior, Potter." Snape added and swept around in his long black cloak. "Well, why aren't you looking the right answers up?" He snarled. Busy shuffles followed as the students cracked their brand new books open. Harry was sure most of them hadn't even read the title yet and still he was wronged by that man for reading the only book about potion they ought to have. Embarrassed, he saw the professor sneer at him. This was the first time Harry felt something close to hate. Maybe it was loath, utter loath which, regarding Snapes smug expression, was quite mutual. Desperately Harry began looking up the answers he already knew.

Finally the lesson was over. Harry threw his things into his back before he left with Hermione and Ron who looked understanding. "I know how you feel. Fred and George told me he is always like this. Don't worry about the points. They loose them all the time." Harry felt like crying. "But I did nothing wrong, did I?" Hermione who had kept her mouth shut the entire lesson said. "Of course not, Harry, you just weren't prepared. Next time you will be. Easy as it is. I will study with you." Ron looked at her disbelievingly. "That's your plan, really?" He muttered. But Harry agreed: "Thanks Hermione. We might do that." Then he forced himself to look cheerful again. "So what's for dinner?" He asked. "Boys." Hermione laughed. "One second you are all serious and the next all you want is eat." "What's wrong about that?" Ron asked her. But Hermione just stormed after Harry towards the great hall.