The subtle art of potionmaking

One day Snape ordered Harry casually to stay behind after potionclass. Anxiously Harry waited his friends to leave because he anticipated Snape would give him another lecture. The man took his time to collect his things while Harry who hadn't left his seat yet watched him curiously. Then Snape locked his eyes with Harry's. "Potter, today we will work on a potion. So if you'd mind following me." Snape announced. Harry shot him a disbelieving stare. "Sorry, but since when do you tolerate me near your beloved potions?" He asked sarcastically.

"Well, since you scored highest in last years exams and proofed you are actually not that stupid you have earned every right to be my apprentice." Snape sneered. "I don't want to be your apprentice. Can't you take another?" Harry complained. "No, consider it as part of your training." Snape said smugly.

"When did the combination of you, me and potions ever turn out well?" Harry started one last attempt. "It will, when you finally use the potential you have." Snape bit out and went to the door. "Where are you going?" Harry queried. "Such matters need to be discussed in private. Follow me, Mr. Potter." Snape drawled annoyed. Harry stood up and did as the potionmaster had ordered without another word. Arguing was useless at this point. Inwardly he felt a twinge of proud because his professor had complimented him in his self sufficient and cruel kind.

At the professor's Snape handed Harry the daily prophet, a newspaper for wizards. "Did you hold track on the happenings in the wizarding world?" He questioned. "No, hence all they do is publishing lies about me." Harry declined. "So I thought." Snape's lips curled into a faint sneer. "Anyway, there have been various attacks on popular wizard families recently and now the ministry has the problem explaining those without to admit the dark lord's return." He added sourly. Harry skipped through the articles. By a majority of attacks the victims had been found nearly blood drained with various cutting marks. The author assured they were not "You know who" related so often it was almost ridiculous. Harry tossed the newspaper at a near desk. "It was them, wasn't it?" Snape nodded. "The headmaster and I believe so." He said dryly. "God, this can't be happening. He can't start to kill innocents now. I am not ready." Harry cried desperately. "Yes, but til you are you can do your best to minimize damage by assisting me." Snape tried to calm him. "Right." Harry gave the man an unsure look. "What do you have in mind?" Snape pointed at the wrinkled newspaper. "You can help me to stop the snakeman by inventing an antidote against the snakemen created." He explained. So this had been Snape's plan from the beginning. "You can do that?" He asked before he could think any better. "Potter, I am not the youngest potionmaster for over a century for nothing. And I dare say I am quite informed with the case." His professor reminded Harry who stared at him wide eyed. "I am sorry. I forgot. I promise I will do my best." The boy stuttered. Satisfied Snape went to his desk and fetched a parchment. "This document is our status quo. It contains a description of the rite the dark lord and I invented and also ideas for the antidote but the problem is we do know nothing about the knew rite. Therefore we can just assume the dark lord developed it based on the old one. I expect you read this before we start." Snape announced and handed the paper to a flabbergasted Harry. Then he purred himself a glass of gin and seated himself at his favorite armchair. Meanwhile Harry still watched him struck. "Don't make me regret my choice." Snape commanded angrily. This set Harry in motion who let himself fall onto the couch and started reading immediately.

It took the next three days for Harry to read through Snape's notes. He had told his suspicious growing friends he was taking remedial potions with Snape because he kept staring at those notes day and night.

A week later Snape ordered Harry again to stay behind after class. "Are we brewing here today?" Harry asked eagerly. "That depends. But either way we won't stay here because my laboratory is far better." The potionmaster clarified. Harry thought he must have somehow offended Snape's pride as potionmaster. "Okay, let me just fetch something." Harry said leaving the room hurriedly.