Bills

"Shit," I cursed under my breath, looking at the stack of bills on the dining room table.

Running a hand through my hair, I let out a deep breath, hearing the sound of the front door creaking open from behind me before I turned around.

Shawn stood there, taking off his shoes, his eyes bloodshot red, cheeks bright pink, his hair a ruffled mess.

"I'm sorry," he croaked, glancing back and forth between me and the stack of envelopes on the dining table, walking towards me as I shook my head.

"You told me you'd pay the bills by last week, Shawn," I sighed as he took in a sharp breath.

"I-I know, baby," he ran his hands along my arms as I pulled away from him.

"When are you gonna realize the seriousness of this situation?" I furrowed my brows as he bit down on his lip, his eyes darting down at the hardwood floor.

"Money is tight, princess," he whispered, "I'm trying my best."

"Do you even have a plan for your life?" I snapped as his lip quivered, running his hands through his hair.

"I-I'll take care of you, baby. I-I'm working day and night for you, and you alone. You have to trust me," he took my hands in his as I sighed.

"Our life is falling apart, Shawn! Don't you get it?" I ripped my hands out of his grip as his heavy eyes stared into mine, his hands trembling at his sides.

"We can barely pay the rent and I had to take on a second job," I shouted, "it's like you don't even care!"

"Baby, don't say that, I do care! Hell, I care about you more than myself!" He shouted before storming back to our room, slamming the door shut as I bit down on my lip, burying my face into my hands, the sound of glass crashing on to the floor was audible from abaft our bedroom door.

"Shawn?" I called quietly, before pushing the dark, wooden door open, to see him sitting on the bed, a broken picture frame of the two of us on the floor, his head held in his hands, taking in sharp breaths every few seconds.

"Do you really think I don't care about you?" He cried as I picked up the picture of us from our wedding two years ago, shaking my head and making my way towards him, kneeling down in front of his trembling body.

"No, baby, I know you care about me, just as much as I care about you," I mumbled, kissing the back of his hand.

"A-Are you going to leave me?" He picked his head up, my eyes widening at his bold question.

"What?"

"Are you going to leave me?" His hands trembled in mine, "Would you leave because I can't pay the rent, or because I can't a-always guarantee food on the table?" More tears streamed down his cheeks as I stood up.

"No, no, no," I wiped his tears away, placing a soft kiss on his forehead as he gently shut his eyes, sniffling, "I would never, ever leave you."

"What if you find someone better? You know, what if you find someone else who can buy you nice things, a-and give you a better place to live than t-this shitty apartment?" He sobbed as I sat next to him, wrapping my arms around him.

"Baby, that would never happen," I kissed the top of his head.

I pulled him into a hug, his arms wrapped tightly around my waist, holding onto me as if were the last time we'd ever see each other.

"It's not about the money, Shawn, it's about love. And I know for a fact, I'll never find someone else who can love me much as you do. I don't want to find someone else, baby, I want you," I whispered, tears now making their way down my face as I ran my hands through his fluffy hair.

"I don't care if we can't afford a better place, or expensive things, Shawn. I know you're trying your best for us, and that's all I've ever wanted," I whispered, resting my head against his, listening to the soft sound of his breathing.

"I love you so much," he mumbled into the crook my neck as I smiled, glancing down at our wedding picture while running my fingers through his soft, brown locks, "and I'll never stop."

__________________________
this made me kinda sad aw

-Rebecca