Princess

The satin, royal blue fabric draped down to the tips of my toes, which were hidden by shimmering silver pumps. A small tiara-like headpiece rested between the thick curls at the top of my head, making me feel like a true princess tonight.

And although Shawn wasn't here to take part in my sweet sixteen and the special moments it will entail, he had been there to help zip up the backs of the numerous dresses I had struggled to choose from, heard my nervous rants about candle speeches to be made, and dealt with my frustrations over the simplest decorations, such as table centerpieces. He was there every step of the way.

My fingertips traced over the sparkling pieces of jewelry adorning my wrists as my phone buzzed from the table beside me in the empty dressing room.

Shawn: hi baby girl, i can't believe tonight is finally here. i can imagine how nervous, but also excited, you must be right now. and i can guarantee you look like a million bucks in that gorgeous dress of yours. i hope you have fun tonight princess, i'll see you when i get back. all my love baby xoxo.

I sighed dismally, wishing that Shawn could be here to walk me into the venue. His right hand would be around my waist, the other stuffed into the pant pocket of the tux he had gotten months before, just for tonight. Yet all my hopes of getting to celebrate and slow dance with my boyfriend were crushed by a call for a world tour - an offer I would never allow him to pass up, no matter how hard it'd be for me.

After replying with a quick thank you, I set my phone back on its spot beside me, smoothing out my dress one last time. As if on cue, my best guy friend plants two hard knocks on the wooden door separating us, and I open it.

"Wow," his jaw drops as he takes in my appearance, "Shawn is definitely missing out tonight, (y/n), you look beyond stunning."

"Thank you," I blushed as he outstretched his arm, my fingertips wrapping around his bicep before he lead us into the venue. Loud music blasted from the speakers at the front, and for a split second, I had forgotten about Shawn, his world tour, and his inability to be present at a time so special, so unforgettable, like this.

Loud cheers and claps erupted from every corner of the room as the DJ introduced me to the crowd, all eyes on my friend and I as we stepped onto the dance floor, quickly being surrounded by friends and family who desired to take part in all the fun.

A couple hours had gone by, most filled with laughter and dancing, but some moments my heart fell heavy as the perpetual thought of Shawn's absence returned. But the worst was when a slow song came on, and every couple had their hands on each other, and their bodies against each other's, and I craved Shawn more than anything in this moment. Yet I sat alone at a decorated table, staring aimlessly at the centerpiece I had shown to Shawn about merely three months ago.

The music faded away and everyone returned to their seats, all the lights being shut off for a few seconds before the DJ's voice resounded throughout the room again.

"We have one more surprise for you, (y/n). Hope you're ready," he chuckled as I glanced up at the spotlight moving towards the entrance doors.

"Where's my birthday girl?"

That voice - the deep one, riddled with the slightest laughter - was recognizable from nearly anywhere. And certainly it was him, my boyfriend, my Shawn, standing there, sporting his newly-purchased tux, with a royal blue bowtie to match my dress, outstretched arms, and a goofy grin that made my heart beat faster than the speed of light.

"Shawn!"

Claps were heard all over again as I gently picked my trailing dress up off the ground, running into his arms. His strong hands fell to my waist, picking me up and twirling me around with joy.

"Hi, princess," he giggled, setting me back down and pulling me into his chest.

"Shawn, I-I can't believe you're here - the tour, I-I thought-"

"Shh," his voice was sweet and soothing like honey as he pressed his full lips to my blushing cheek, quieting me, "I'm here. I'm here for you, and you alone, because there's no tour, or any event for that matter, that's going to stop me from getting to see my baby girl on her special night."

My arms linked around his neck, and his now on my hips, our smiles growing bigger as we simply stared at each other, taking in every feature we had missed for the past month.

"I love you," I smiled as the words left my lips, reciprocated with a sparkling grin from Shawn. His hair was effortlessly swept upwards, his eyes glowing with excitement as he replied with the same three words.

"May I have this dance?" He stepped away, his large hand laid in front of my body as I placed mine on top, giggling as he led us to the center of the dance floor.

"Of course," I wrapped my arms around his neck once again as he pulled me closer to him, camera lights flashing as we slow danced alone to the sound of the sweet song playing in the background, and our fast-paced heartbeats.

"You certainly look like a princess tonight," Shawn mumbled as I rested my head again his chest, my eyelids fluttering shut, "my princess."

__________________________
if this seems familiar to you its cause i made the same imagine a loonnnggg time ago but it was so terribly written and super short so i decided to re-write it aaaannnddd yeah so i hope y'all liked it(:

-rebecca