Chapter 48 Part 1

Jessie

As soon as the 12:59 on my computer screen turns to 13:00, I snatch my bag off the floor, shoot up from my desk and head for the hallway.

The elevator is still on the ground floor, and I am in no mood to wait for it, so I storm up the four flights of stairs to the top of the building. When I emerge onto the rooftop, I slam the door loudly behind me. I turn back, open it again and give it an extra slam, for luck.

"Don't worry about him. He's like that to everyone at first." Kate, an accountant on my floor, who apparently witnessed my epic telling off earlier, is standing near the edge of the rooftop smoking a cigarette. "You're doing great. Just hang in there, and when he sees you're not affected by him, he'll lay off soon enough." She smiles reassuringly.

"Let's hope I don't slip and accidentally hit him over the head a couple times with my computer first." I mutter before joining her at the edge.

I look out over the city, and take a few deep breaths.

Summer is coming, you can smell it in the air. It's finally getting warm enough that I don't have to wear a coat when I go out.

"Want one?" Kate offers me her pack.

"Tempting. So tempting. But no." I sigh, declining with a shake of my head.

The rooftop garden of the 10 storey building where I work is nicknamed Smokers' Paradise, and for good reason. The small area might be out in the sunshine, covered in greenery and inviting seating, but most people aren't coming up here for fresh air. As if to prove my point, another employee comes through the metal door, cigarette already in his mouth, ready to be lit.

I tell myself I'm only coming up here for the view, but I spend more time dazed by the tendrils of smoke people are exhaling than the other grey buildings around ours. Maybe I could have just one. Just to take the edge off my irritating day.

My phone starts buzzing in my bag, snapping me out of my trance. I find the vibrating device at the bottom and retrieve it. For two seconds, I squint at the screen, unsure if I'm reading the name right. I answer just before it cuts off.

"Lamar?"

"Jessie! You're alive. How you been?" It's been so long since I heard his familiar deep voice.

"Oh my gosh, Lam. I've been good. What about you? How's life?"

"Same as always. Crazy busy. Legendary. I miss you, girl. We need to catch up soon, but I don't have a lot of time to talk right now. I'm about to get on a jet to Vegas."

"Of course you are." I smile.

"I was just calling to tell you the plan for my cousin's wedding on Saturday." My smile quickly fades as he continues. "I'm gonna try to pick you up, but I might have to drive my mom and some others. Either way, I'll make sure a car is at your place at 3.30. You still live in the same place, right?"

"Yeah, but..." I shift uncomfortably. "Lamar... I'm really sorry. I don't think I can go."

"Why not? You promised you would dance with me."

"But that was before."

"Before what? Before you broke up with—." He stops himself. "Come on. It's not like I'm asking you to come to an album launch, or an XO party, or some shit. This is my cousin's wedding. Whatever happened between you two, I don't care. You didn't promise him. You promised me. Remember? I worked my ass off to learn that dance. Don't ditch me now."

He makes a valid point and I struggle to find another excuse.

It's not like I have any important plans on that day. I already have my outfit for the wedding. I bought it months ago, after seeing the perfect floaty skirt while strolling in Paris. The top to match was already in my wardrobe.