Chapter 23

Abel

It’s almost midnight by the time we finish checking into the hotel. I split away from the crew in the lobby and make my way up to the floor I’ll be occupying for the duration of our trip.

My hotel suite is almost excessively luxurious. I mean, I get the extravagant furniture, the expensive-looking paintings, the frosted glass door separating the bedroom from the living area. I can even see where the mini kitchen area complete with a fancy coffee machine and well-stocked bar could come in handy. But two flat-screen TVs? 8 lamps? Now they’re just showing off.

But I guess this is what I’m paying for though, so I switch on most of the lamps and the bedroom TV while I hang some clothes up in the closet.
Usually, I wouldn't bother unpacking, but after the very last show tomorrow, we’re staying in London for a few days to celebrate before we head home.

Not for the first time today, Jessie crosses my mind. I’ve been too busy to talk to her since she left but hopefully after tomorrow, we’ll have time to have some fun on this trip.

Now that I've admitted to myself that I like her, I've spent the past few days yo-yoing between laying all my cards on the table and telling her or avoiding the situation entirely and being grateful with what we currently have.

Telling her would change everything. Either she'll say she feels the same and we'll be together or she'll never want to see me again.

But thinking about it logically, although during our whole ‘relationship’, I’m usually the one to call her to come over, she always comes. In more ways than one. That has to count for something, right? If she didn’t like me, she’d have stopped responding by now.

After I take a quick shower to wash off the tiredness of the long bus ride, I check my phone to find one new message:

Where are you staying? –Jessie

The number isn’t saved in my phone, but I did tell her we were arriving in London today. Just before I send the address, I pause. I could have some fun with this.

Jess? I’m gonna need you to send a nude. So I know I’m texting you, not a stranger.

She replies within a few seconds:

I’ll call you.

That would work, but it wouldn’t work for me.

Nope. Too busy to pick up rn. :p

I’m certain she’s rolling her eyes at my message but my phone buzzes with a response a minute later.

In the fully-clothed selfie she sends me, she's showing off her dimples in a full smile, her cheeks pink from the cold even with a scarf wrapped around her neck and headphones covering her ears. She would look like a sweet girl, if she wasn't also holding up her middle finger.

Laughing, I send her the address of the hotel and put the phone on charge.

How far gone am I? It’s only been a week and I already miss seeing her face. I’m not sure whether I should expect her tonight or tomorrow morning, but I hope she stays true to her night owl nature and comes tonight.

Sure enough, she knocks on the door about an hour later. When I open the door, I step aside to let her in, but she doesn't move.
"I'm not coming in. We're going out." 
"Out? Where? It's... 1.30am." I read off my watch.
"Do you have a curfew or something?" She asks.
"No, but I have a show.” I remind her. “Where are we going?" 
"You'll find out soon enough." She smiles. “Don’t worry, I won’t keep you out too late.”
"Ok, but what am I telling the driver?"
"No driver. Pull on your hat; we're going to take the night bus."