Chapter 18

Jessie

The sky is a beautiful mix of blue, white and grey. The sun is hiding somewhere behind the clouds and there's a light breeze blowing on my face. My favourite type of weather. I'm feeling more at peace than I have in a long time. I should come up to the roof more often. It's a great place to clear your head. It would be even more perfect if it wasn't for that annoying hissing noise. Sounds like... rushing water?

I turn around to try find out where the sound is coming from. As I walk towards a maintenance shaft, it gets louder and louder. That's definitely water. I even see a light spray of droplets splashing the wall on the other side of the roof. Walking around the shaft, the source reveals itself and I can't believe what I'm seeing.

Abel is leaning over a red convertible Porsche with a garden hose, rinsing foam off of the side of the windscreen. I stand and stare, marvelling at the fact that he's washing a car on the roof is not even the strangest thing.

"Abel, what the fuck are you wearing?" I ask, gesturing to his cut off jean shorts and the Britney Spears style white crop top he's rocking.

"Oh hey Jess, I'm raising money for my high school. Want your car washed? It's only 50 yen." So much for my newly cleared head.

"How am I going to get my car onto the roof?" And more importantly,

"I don't even have a car." I say and suddenly, I'm opening my eyes to a white ceiling. I feel around and find myself in a large bed. Abel's bed.

"What?" Abel is standing in the doorway, a puzzled expression on his face. And thankfully, dressed in his usual T-shirt and jeans combo.

"Oh, nothing." I say groggily. "It was just a dream. A crazy dream." I sit up and rub my eyes. He still hasn’t unpacked from the tour, various bags scattered on the floor. Outside, it’s raining heavily, the patter of raindrops hitting the window echoing in his expansive bedroom.

"What time is it? Did I sleep here?" 

"Yeah, it's just past 1pm."

"What? Why didn't you wake me?" I lift the covers and look down to see I'm still fully clad in the dress I was wearing last night.

"Are you kidding me? You almost died. You were in no condition to go home. And besides, the doctor said you needed to rest. There had to be someone watching you in case, you know, you stopped breathing or something."

"Oh." The memories of the last night’s events come flooding back. Along with feelings of guilt. He watched over me while I slept? "Well, that's really nice of you to do. But I guess I can go now." I start getting up.

"No fucking way." He blocks my way. "You're staying here until I'm sure you're not just gonna go pass out alone in your apartment."

"You really don't need to do that. I'll be fine. Honestly."

"Jessie. Get back in that bed. Right now." He points at the bed in case I was confused as to which bed he's referring to.

I don't move a muscle. "Bed? Already? I just woke up, Abel. Jeez, at least give me some time to stretch first."

"Don't get smart with me. You know I don't mean sex."

He's actually serious about this.

"Don't you have work to do?"

"Jessie." He warns.

"Ok, I'll stay. But at least let me wash my face first." I can feel last night's mascara weighing down my eye lashes.

"Alright." He says warily, like I'm gonna make a break for it as soon as he gets out of my way.

His bathroom is as spacious as I remember. Catching sight of myself in the mirror, I gasp. I look like a mess. No wonder he thinks I'm on the brink of death. Black makeup is smudged around my eyes, making me look like a distant relative of a panda. There are faint traces of my red lipstick in the corners of my mouth and the cracks of my lips. Using the little dolphin shaped soap on the edge of the sink, I scrub my face until every trace of makeup is gone. Then I tackle the tangle of my hair using a comb I find in the cabinet. I chuckle to myself. So he does own a comb.