chapter 10

Chapter 10

Elizabeth

I got in my room and showered. My heart was pounding and I can’t even seem to focus on what I’m doing. My mind keeps on repeating the words he said. I like you….do you wanna go out with me?....i’ll be waiting… My mind keeps on repeating and repeating.

“Why?” I asked myself. Is he just playing with me? Wanting to see my reaction on his big damn joke?

“Elizabeth Porter, can you please make it fast!” My mom was already angry at me. I finished and wore my jammies and went down for the rosary. It’s already our family tradition to pray the rosary every night and we have to be complete in doing it. After the prayer, I went to my bedroom and lay in bed covering my whole body with my quilt. This is just a dream…a dream…, I thought. I can’t seem sleep so I got my iPod and played the whole night until I drifted to sleep.

It was now six thirty in the evening and Chase will be here at seven. I did my rituals, dancing or singing or looking myself in the mirror, before I prepared myself for the party. I put on some light make up just to make a change on my face, wore jeans and a simple blouse. Perfumed and got my hair done and went out of my room. I wore sneakers just to go with my outfit.

“Mom! I’ll go now!” I said.

“Wait! Who’s coming to get you?” She asked.

“Chase!” She got out of the kitchen and looked at me. “Did you just say,Chase?”

“Yeah, he was offering me a ride since he knew I don’t have a car yet and he was also invited in the party.” She was eyeing me intently and turned our heads to the window as we heard a car pulling over.

“He’s here. Gotta go.” I sighed before opening the door knowing that this would be a very awkward ride. I walk towards him and smiled.

“Hey” I said.

“Hey.” He smiled and opened the door for me. He walked to his seat and got in.

“Ready?” He asked.

“Yeah” He drove. We really had an awkward silence as what I have predicted.

“About last night….” He said with a cracked and nervous voice. “I was serious. But if you don’t want to, I understand but I need an explanation to that.” He smiled. Uggggh!!!! That smile again!!! Calm down, Elizabeth. It’s just a smile, I thought.

“Uhm.Chase can you pull over for a moment?” I said.

“Yeah sure” He then pulled over and faced me. “why?”

“I just wanted to let you hear my explanation about last night.” I finally said it. Yes! I’m doing it!

“Does this explanation of yours means that you don’t want to go out with me?” He asked and I noticed his hands were gripping the stirring wheel firmly.

“No, I don’t mean that. “ I saw a relief in his face and I inhaled deeply. “Chase, I like you since we we’re in 8th grade and I was happy about me liking you because it changed something in me but as time passed I’ve noticed that it was also you who was the reason of my tears. After we became seatmates, I felt invisible. I felt so sad because you were happy to be with Brenda” I saw that he was worried now. “And everyone else knew that something is going on between you two. So, the more I hear those things the more I stayed away from you. I tried every way I can just to forget you but the more I tried to forget you, the more my heart beats when you’re around. And I want these things to stop.”

“So you mean….you’re stopping yourself from liking me.”

“Yes and now that you said something to me last night. I still need to process it in my mind why you said those words to me-”He interrupted me. He’s finally talking. I thought I will be the one going to talk my whole explanation.