Used To Be

You see them, laying there, unmoving. You see their paled face and closed eyes. You see the crisp, clean, folds of the dress clothes wrapped around their unmoving body.

You don't see the rise and fall of their chest. You don't see the spark in their eyes. You don't see the small smile that had always been on their face. You don't see the adorable way they pout. You don't see the love and un denying trust in their eyes. You don't see anything you used to.

You reach out and take their cold hand. You caress their cheek, not seeing the light blush that would appear time and time again.

You don't feel the gentle, reassuring squeeze on your hand. You don't feel their warm, soft lips against yours. You don't feel the amazing embrace from their arms wrapped around you, pulling you close.

You close your eyes, fighting back tears. You feel the deep sadness. You feel the pain. You feel the remorse, the dread. You feel your love, burning so deep, that it feels like it could last forever.

You don't feel the happiness. You don't feel the overwhelming joy. You don't feel the contentness. You don't feel feel their love. You don't feel safe. You don't feel anything like you used to before.

You give their hand one last gentle squeeze before stepping back, away from the coffin. You let the tears finally fall as you turn and walk away, letting others that had been close to them say their silent goodbyes.