Always Have Hope (Part 6)

They stopped at the window, their backs against the wall, trying to disappear into the shadows. Dezeray squatted down and opened the window quietly. She slipped inside, landing roughly on the floor which was farther down than she expected. She glanced down both ends of the hallway. It was clear.

"It's clear." Dezeray called out quietly.

Ariana and Apple both slipped through the window and joined Dezeray. Dezeray pointed to the left, indicating that they should go that way and the other two nodded. They both followed Dezeray as she took the lead. Their footsteps were quiet, almost soundless as they made it to a corner. She peered around the corner cautiously, seeing no one. She was thankful for it being so late. They rounded the corner and found a set of stairs, which they proceeded down carefully.

At the bottom of the stairs was a long hallway, with a bunch of different sets of barred walls. Dezeray rushed down the dark corridor, looking each and every cell. All but one were empty, though dried up blood colored the floors and walls and an occasional bone, from something, littered the floor. It was horrifying, something she never wanted to see again, ever. The last one she looked in had a slumped over figure leaning back against a wall. She felt a pang in her heart as she rushed forward, trying to pull the locked door open. She pulled a bobby pin out of her hair and starts picking the lock, which actually worked.

She rushed over to the figure and hugged it tightly. "Dad!"

"Shut the fuck up Dez. We don't want to be caught." Apple hisses quietly.

"D-Dez?" Kurt questions, his voice hoarse, weak.

"Yeah, it's me dad."

Kurt hugged her tightly, or as tightly as his broken body could. She felt the tears already streaming down her face, but she couldn't help it, she was just so happy that he was alive, that he was ok. A loud set of foot steps going down the hall broke the seldom moment.

"Shit.... hug later, we have to go." Ariana says, pulling Dezeray away from Kurt.

Dezeray quickly stood up and helped Kurt up as well, pulling him along as they went out the door, which Apple closed behind her. They walked as quickly as they could back down the long hallway. They made their way back up the stairs and to the window they entered.

"You first, dad." Dezeray instructs.

Kurt nods briefly before he found the strength to haul himself up and out the window. Apple and Ariana followed, leaving Dezeray to exit last. She glanced back down the hallway, hearing heavy footsteps, a guard she presumed. She quickly pulled herself up and out of the window, joining the other three outside.

"Ok. It won't take long before they figure out he's gone, so we have to move quick." Ariana says quietly. "We'll walk till we get to the place we camped out yesterday and stop there. We'll rest for the day and head out again at night, got it?"

"Got it." Apple and Dezeray whispered.

All four jogged back up the hill and far into the plains, though they didn't get to far before Kurt had to stop.

"Guard us, he needs a minute." Dezeray instructs the two girls, who nod and do just as they were told.

"You ok?" Dezeray asks, casting worried blue-green eyes at Kurt, looking him over in the dim light.

He looked terrible, she realized. He was incredibly thin and looked so pale, the bruises, scars, and cuts that were visible made her very worried.

"I-I'm fine... Just... really weak...."

"How much did they feed you?"

Kurt spits out a laugh. "Not enough."

"Guys. We have to go." Came Apple's voice, sounding quite strict.