Chapter 27-The O'Donoghues'

Danny's POV

I arrived back to the apartment and I waited patiently for my sister. Alexis still had some stuff left in the apartment and my sister was lovely enough to help me get rid of it. I haven't heard or seen her in over a month and I was okay...it still hurt, but I wanted to move on. And I had the fortune of having a sister who was willing to come and turn the whole house around to get rid of Alexis's things.

Kyla arrived shortly after I heard her throwing her boots on the hall and coming straight to the living room.

"Well, hello little bro, your little ray of sarcastic sunshine has arrived. Now let's get this over with and get rid of all the crap your ex wife still has around."
"She is not my ex technically...well I hate the Irish law in which we are separated."
"Divorced bro, divorced, and if I see that worthless woman in front of me again....Dan...what the hell are you doing? You've been texting ever since I came!"
"Erm...nothing...ok I will make some pancakes and tea while you get the boxes. And we will start working on packing the stuff Alexis has around."
"Good Lord, it's like her fucking house! For Jesus's sake! All these pillows and fluffy shit yuck!", she said making a vomiting sound.
"Jesus Kyla do you wanna turn my guts around?", I shouted from the kitchen,
"Ooohhhh who is this texting you? What? Danny you have a new relationship?! What!!!? And you didn't tell me!!! When? Who is she? What the fuck!!! Danny is that Olivia Van de Kamp?!!", she said unlocking my phone and looking at the photo of me and Liv, her expression changing from surprised to shock in less than one second.
"She is just a friend.", I tried to explain, mentally kicking myself because my sister knew my phone password.
"Just a friend...well she must be a close friend if you have a picture with her on your phone...Danny I'm blonde, not a fucking idiot!", she said holding up my phone.
"We are taking things slow...it's really nothing...and Olivia, she is Liv..."
"Wait, what are you trying to tell me? That Olivia Van de Kamp took care of you?"
"Basically...yeah..."
"Oh come on Danny, you already had a crazy woman like that in your life. Do you really need another one?"
"She is so not like you think...."
"Her family is mental...they are the most stuck up people in the world. What makes you think she is not like the rest of her family? I'm sorry but that is an expensive dress, and the hair and the whole..."
"Kyla, you and me both know we have designer clothes too."
"Yeah Danny from sales! She lives in a fucking mansion!"
"She lives in an apartment she shares with her gay friend..."

My sister just opened and closed her mouth and opened it again like a blowfish...Finally she had no words to say. She then started...

"She doesn't live in a mansion? She doesn't wear fancy clothes?"
"Ah no...actually she will arrive here in a couple of minutes so we better start cleaning up...", I said quickly.
"Great I can't wait to meet her!"
"Not today!"
"Why not? "
"Because you will scare her off..."
"Well if she gets scared of one O'Donoghue, or two...what will she do when she meets the family? Danny, you already made the epic mistake with Alexis..."
"Geez, thank you for pointing that one out, but I didn't make any mistakes...ah, she's here!", I said looking at my phone.
"Brilliant!", said Kyla rubbing her hands.

She scared me when she did that...it meant somewhere along the way she had a secret agenda...and that scared me. I opened the door and Liv came in, holding a Tesco's bag. Her outfit was one of the many I recognised as being her trademark.

"Hey, beautiful, what's in the bag?", I said after kissing her forehead.
"Well...I knew you don't have time to cook, soooo, I just went to Tesco's, bought some popcorn and some juice and believe me it's a shitload of popcorn here, so we can eat."
"But you know I can whip up something..."
"No...seriously...I ate with my grandma and I'm in the mood for low fat popcorn...and I bought some full fat popcorn for you too...and nachos...and I didn't know if you liked cheese dips or garlic or barbecue, so I bought all three and...oh hi...", she said seeing my sister smiling as she showed me each purchase.
"Hi, I'm Kyla, Dan's sister. You must be Olivia..."
"Nah, shorten it to Liv please, only my parents call me Olivia."
"Nice to meet you..."

I could tell from the smile Kyla had she was a bit taken aback by how Liv was actually around me. A t-shirt, sweatpants and trainers. Something completely different from what she saw in the newspapers. Liv made her way to the living room and I followed her.

"So, whatcha guys doing?", asked Liv smiling, pulling out the groceries from the bag and putting them in their place.
"Well we are actually getting rid of the things that belonged to my ex sister in law."
"Oh...okay..."

I could tell by the look on her face that she wasn't happy to hear that. It was like she wanted to see memories of me and my ex wife all scattered around the house.

"We can do that another time Kyla...seriously, let's watch a movie..."
"Why don't we do it now Danny? Finish what we started. After all Alexis ain't coming back...And if you decide she will, you can consider yourself you're all alone in this world! There I have said it!"
"Wait, whoahhhhhhh! Hold on! Kyla, not to be disrespectful towards you, but that is no way to talk to him! He is a grown man! He can do things on his own terms! You can't expect him to be all fine and dandy after this! I know it's not my job, but give him some time."
"Hey girls...Kyla, I love you you're my sis...and Liv, you're my girlfriend. Don't look at me like that! I said the world girlfriend again! But Alexis won't be setting a single foot in this apartment. Not anymore. What she had done is by far the worst thing that ever happened. And Kyla is right...I have to get rid of those fucking eye sore throws and pillows. She had a passion for collecting them and to me they look like crap."
"You little girl are standing up for him...you are fucking brave to enter in the crossfire of an O'Donoghue...", laughed Kyla.
"Well I'm not entering the dragon's lair, and I'm a fucking Rhodes. It's a curse and a blessing in the same time..."
"Rhodes, aren't you a Van de Kamp? I'm confused..."
"Well I am, but my grandma always says I'm more of a Rhodes than a Van de Kamp. But I'm more of Liv than Olivia so..."
"How does it feel to be in the public eyes all the time?", asked Kyla throwing a pillow in a garbage bag.
"Just as Dan feels basically, but I'm not all the time in the public eye...my sister and my family are...I try to keep a low profile...", she replied carefully folding a throw.
"Is it true that you guys have Bentleys and a castle?"
"Kyla!!!!", I shouted surprised.

Women, especially my sisters, they always know everything. It's like they are fucking spies. I knew that issue from my own experience. If I did something bad it was either mum, or Kyla, or Hannah, or Anne that would call and shout hysterically over the phone. Liv smiled and said it was okay.

"I don't have a Bentley, my family does, I own an Opel. And the castle, actually my grandma owns it. Everyone thinks we are fucking Irish royalty but we are actually Americans. We have Irish roots, but by blood I'm part Irish, part American."
"Really? Wow, that's interesting. Oh look a photo...I know what to do with this.", said Kyla taking the photo from the frame and setting it on fire.
"Jesus, you will burn the fucking house down Kyla!", I screamed waving my hands to disperse the smoke.
"What, if I can't set her on fire for real, let me set the photo on fire. Never fucking mess with an O'Donoghue!"

"If you think your family is crazy, I think mine beats yours.", I whispered to Liv.
"Nah, don't worry you haven't seen crazy, until you met my family.", she replied kissing me on the cheek.

It was the first gesture that she did to approach me, romantically. And I don't know what happened...but I felt my heart skip a bit. I was attracted to her but I didn't realise I was that attracted. After cleaning up the apartment and my sister gone, I put some popcorn in the microwave, while she chose a movie.

"I'm really sorry about my sister, she is over protective."
"She has every right to be like that...after all she knows you better than anyone. Even than me...I'm just getting to know you..."
"Well, you know a lot about me...I can say that I'm ambitious and sometimes quick tempered. But if you know how to sort the problem out...and if you buy chocolate I'm your best friend...", I said putting the popcorn bowl on my lap and my hand around her shoulders.
"Bribery with chocolate, hmmm, that's good to know..."
"So what movie did you pick?"
"It's not a movie, it's an animation actually..."Up." I loved it a lot..."
"Never watched it..."
"It's so beautiful. I loved it."
"Liv, thank you..."
"Why are you thanking me?"
"For this special night. I haven't done this in a while and it's really nice..."
"But with Alexis you didn't do this?"
"We did this in the beginning...then it was just something we avoided...I was too busy touring and she was too busy with photography...promise me something Liv."
"What?"
"That we will always have time for this and that we will never let things go bad between us."
"I can't promise you that, but I can promise that I will do the best I can to make you happy and at home.", she said gently placing her head on my chest, cuddling.