Chapter 55 - Finale of A Lost Battle

Time. I had no idea what that was anymore. Five minutes felt like five hours. I had been running forever, trying to figure out if I was even going the right way or not. The forest was everlasting. My feet ached and blistered against the ground but I kept running even despite the thick twigs snapping against my bare legs. I tried to overcome them by dodging the best I could but the more I tried the harder it got.

Then it happened.

How can you be sure you will make it in time? You are never safe here.

The further I ran the more the twigs came in contact with me. It was like I was suddenly being pulled into some type of dark magic. I stopped dead in my tracts as I looked ahead of me. Certainly this never happened before. But now it was. The branches moved on its own, pointing as it went, and kind of made a blockage for me. There were points everywhere, taunting me. Then the branches barricaded my pathway that I was originally going to go through.

"What is happening here?" I asked myself, looking around for another way out. The clouds above me turned black. Dark Magic. This wasn't anything ordinary. Someone was watching over me, making sure I didn't reach my destination. Somebody was making sure I failed.

"What do I do, Luis?" I called out. I looked at my watch. My time was coming to an end very soon. I had to keep going. Stopping would only increase my chance of loosing. I picked up my feet and moved ahead, completely ignoring the fact that the points were pointing towards me. I dodged, bounced, jumped, and crawled to make my way out of the pathway of points. Somehow I was winning. But then a pointy twig came in contact with my knees. I was on all fours and getting up was difficult. Another twig slid across my thighs and I winced. I could understand if I achieved a minor cut out of it but the case was different. The points were literally digging into my flesh, sliding across as it went.

Blood. Massive amount of blood in just one cut.

I panicked. The longer I stayed the way I did, the higher chance I had to bleed out. And loosing any amount of blood out of my system was only my biggest challenge ever. Every drop of my blood was like rare diamonds that I couldn't manage to loose. Except this would lead me to death. I managed to move, getting hurt in the process, but stopped again.

The little strip of clothing I had placed around my wrist to barricade the blood from falling on the ground suddenly slipped, dropping on the floor. I hadn't touched it. Nothing touched it yet it managed to unknot itself. I starred at it in disbelief and when I tried to retrieve it, the cloth disappeared under the ground. I gasped as I tried to dug it out but the deeper I dug the more it disappeared. This cannot be happening.

My heart raced as I realized what was happening. This forest was full of dark magic.

I crawled as fast as I could and then stopped again. Three dark shadows crossed my peripheral view and I froze, stiffening. The forest began to darken. All this made me want to react faster. I began to crawl, completely ignoring everything else that was happening around me, taunting and haunting me. This was a plan to stop me from moving forward but I won't stop. This forest wanted me to bleed so I died quicker with my chance of survival lessening. But I wasn't the one to give up. I needed to find fire before death found me. Literally.

I managed to completely get out of the points. In process, however, I had managed to loose quite a bit of blood, but I was breathing and walking perfectly fine. Little drops of blood only made my heart weaker. I had started to understood the forest. When there weren't obstacles thrown at me, there were paths of safety. That's when I realized that there was a force that somehow was trying to protect me from getting hurt. But that didn't last much longer. I was out of the forest, alive. But what I saw in front of me shook me to my core.