Chapter 34

"I didn't regret the things that I do. I regret the things I didn't do when I had a chance."

--Unknown

***

Alyana

I wake up in the middle of the night and take a glance at the clock. It's almost one o'clock in the morning and I am thirsty.

I wander downstairs to the kitchen. The whole house is in relative darkness exept from the back yard where the pool is located. I don't turn the lights on and about to open the cupboard to get a glass when I heard my mom's voice.

"Want some wine?" she asks. I wonder who is with her.

"You can't sleep?" she asks again.

"I'm still adjusting with the time difference, I guess." a man with deep voice answers. " thank you for allowing me to stay in your mansion, Mrs. Williams." It's Aiden she's talking with.

"This is Alyana's house, Aiden. Everything that you see, are all the fruit of her labor."

I heard Aiden gasps in surprise.

I walk closer to the double doors to eavesdrop with their conversation. I didn't mean to, but I have the feeling that they will talk more about me.

"She's a stubborn goal oriented woman." my mom said.

I guess my instincts got it right this time.

"That she is." Aiden answers. I can hear amusement in his voice. "She's an amazing woman." he added.

I slide behind the open door until my bum reaches the floor then I lean my head on the wall and I look up the dark ceiling of the kitchen.

"She's very strong and confident woman, that sometimes she takes me by surprise." he continues and exhales deeply.

"Would you mind if I ask something, Aiden?" my mom asks. My heart starts to beat furiously in my chest.

"I won't mind." Aiden replies.

"Five years ago, she asked for permission about your upcoming marriage and then suddenly she comes running home with broken heart. What happened between the two of you?"

"She asked for permission?" Aiden's voice is mixed with doubt. "She didn't tell me anything.. I.. I.. Didn't know.. I assumed that she rejected me." he seems lost for words.

"She didn't, Aiden. I hope you know by now that you are the only man in her life."

"I know.." Aiden whispers. "I.. I proposed twice which she both declined." he added. "That time, I was so full of self doubt, I was not as confident as her. Sometimes, when she looked at me, I can't help but wonder if I deserve a woman like her. She's thinking ahead of me, that sometimes I feel left behind. There are times that I can't-- I don't know how to keep up or handle her."

"Aiden.. She's not what you think she is.."

"She's everything Mrs. Williams, and that time, I was nothing. When she rejected me, it added in my self doubt. She made me realize that she needs more.. More than me.." he whispers.

"Oh, Aiden." my mom said emotionally.

I didn't know that he sees me like that. I didn't know these things. He seemed confindent and flawless even before. It's him whom I am in awe with.

"We had a little misunderstanding one day, I left her in the morning because I need to go to work. I am saving so I can give her a wedding of the decade--incase she will say yes." his voice is melancholy. I close my eyes tightly. His words pinches my heart.