Chapter Nine - Disappearing

Astrid's POV

"Come on Sammy." I shuffled the suitcase around slightly so I had room in the boot for my bag.

We were going to leave for a few weeks, this would help me, help me get over Christopher's death and possibly... even tell Sam.

I admit, I haven't told Sarah yet or Mrs Harrison. I didn't even give a whisper to Tom, the guy who gave me the idea and I felt bad.

Slamming the boot shut, I walked around and on opening the door, I glanced back at Tom, who was staring at me.

I simpered at him and took a shivery sigh. Even though I had just met him, I didn't want to leave him.

He helped me.

No one ever had the courage to do that, well, at least someone who was a man. Christopher would be the one to help me in these situations, but he isn't here is he?

Waving slowly, Tom still stared at me.

Rain began to pour, slowly erasing his face from my view. The raindrops covered the window and he had tried to wipe them away. After a few hard wipes, he knew that they had been hitting the glass from the outside.

After a few moments, his face was now gone.

I could barely see it.

Stepping into the car, I slammed the door shut and looked at Sammy.

"You ready?" Sam went quiet and I edged towards him, the volume of my voice higher. "Sammy? What is it?" He bowed his head and I let out a sigh.

Mood swings and grief were messing with my brain.

"I'm sorry Mommy. I forgot one thing." Pushing the key into the lock, I turned the key, the engine starting.

"Is it important Sammy?" He shrugged. "Can you leave without it?" Sam shook his head and I now knew that we had to drive back home.

The home I wanted to take a break from in the first place to avoid bad memories clouding my judgement and mind.

For the whole journey, Sam sat with his head down. He didn't even speak a word and I was worried that myself snapping at him had made him upset.

"Sammy?" I called him and he folded his arms. "Sam, what's up?" I took a left onto our road. "Sammy..."

"Mom, why do we have to go...?" Sam's lip trembled and he looked at me with his puppy eyes.

Halting the car, I faced Sam.

"Hey..." I shuffled his hair. "We aren't going forever..." I lowered my voice. "I promise we'll be back in a week and you won't have missed anything." Smiling at him, I'd hope that had put his poor little hopes up.

"Okay Mommy." He slid out from his seat and shut the door behind him. I sighed and turned off the engine, staring at the house before I had the courage to walk in.

I closed the door lightly and Sammy ran up the stairs.

"Sammy, don't take too long honey!" My ears picked up his room door slamming and I combed my fingers through my hair.

Back to square one.

I walked into the living room and dusted the sofa, you know, the last few finishing touches.

Slowly, but surely, I became suspicious of how long Sam was taking.

I straightened my cream trench coat and made my way towards the stairs when-

I heard the doorbell ring.

A crease made its way in between my eyebrows.

No one knew. No one. So, how is there that someone would be conveniently ringing my doorbell at this time?