Chapter Twenty Six - Those Small Things

Tom's POV

Astrid clutches tightly onto my hand as we both wait for some kind of news.

She referred to me as her husband.

Her... dead husband.

Does that mean anything?

"Now..." The doctor moves the scan around her bump, with a slight frown.

God I was nervous too.

Astrid tried to peer at the scanner, since she had detected the doctor's concerned expression.

"Doctor..." Astrid bit her lip. "Is everything okay?" Then, she looked up at me, placing her hand over her mouth.

She was shattering.

Every minute of silence - it worried her. It was killing her.

I placed my other hand on her shoulder and rub it slightly, kissing the top of her head and I attempted to comfort her.

"Astrid hey..." She pulled my hand to her cheek and I felt her soft exterior rub against it.

I cherished her rub as did she.

She was suffering and I said I would turn their lives around.

If it all goes down - I'll be there.

She looked up at me again, smiling slightly.

"Tom... I-"

"Ms Williams?" Both of us quickly darted out heads towards the doctor. "I have some news." Astrid bit her bottom lip.

"Doctor?" His face turned from concerned, to a smile. Doctor Sharpe took a deep breath in.

"Astrid, I am pleased to say everything is allright." Astrid froze and I smiled. Broadly.

"Really doctor?" I asked, taking a sigh of relief.

"Yes." He places the device back and rubs off the gooey stuff. "You're about... four months Ms Williams?" Astrid eventually nodded and looked up at me, smiling.

Her eyes began to water. "Well, pains are normal. But may be a result of stress and that is normal." He got up and walked up to me. "Congratulations. Officially." He whispered to me and held out his hand.

It wasn't mine, but God I felt like it was. I began to laugh and I shook the doctor's hand.

"Th-thank you." I smiled and turned my head to face Astrid, whose face was covered in tears.

Before I could share that moment, I feel a vibration in my pocket. "Sorry Doctor, one moment."

I turn around and take out my phone.

Then, I walk out.

My phone read-

One email

I swipe down and open the email, narrowing my eyes.

Dear Mr Hiddleston,

We realise it has been a while since we have contacted you. We just wanted to offer you a part in a movie. If so, please meet us in New York and contact us further for details.

We look forward to seeing you.

I widen my eyes and lower my phone.

A job opportunity, one in which I would love to take.

However, I wouldn't want to leave the two people I love...

Astrid's POV

I slowly watch Tom walk out and I smiled.

Easing myself up, I extended my hand to the doctor.

"Thank you Doctor. I..." I look back at the door for a moment. "We, are happy." The doctor gladly shakes my hand and he placed one my arm.

"Ms Williams..." He whispers. "I know." I frown.

"Know? Know what?" He then rubs my shoulder.

"I'm very sorry for your loss Ms Williams." I let out a gasp. "I'm sorry, but, is he the Father?" I trusted Doctor Sharpe, he was someone who I had known for a long time.

"N-no..." Rubbing my bump, I sniff. "It's still Christopher's, doctor..." I face him again. "He's... my accomplice." Total understatement.

"Well, I'm glad your 'accomplice' makes you happy." I simper slightly.

He really did.

"Doctor... may I ask..." He nodded. "I know Christopher apparently visited here the day before he died-" I inhale. "Do you know anything?"

"I'm afraid I do not recall anything. Only my moments with yourself with Christopher present." My mouth drooped.

"It is... possible, I could have Christopher's medical papers? I know I shouldn't-"

"It is my pleasure. You are his wife, you were both intimate and caring towards one another." He leans forward. "I'll see what I can do for you."

I then said my goodbyes, walking out of the room. Almost immediately, I search for Sammy, but there was no sign.

Frowning, I thought he would be with Tom and I knew he was safe.

Making my way outside, I arch my arms onto my back and hear a familiar voice call me.

"Astrid!" Tom waves and I rush towards him. "Sorry, I... Sam wanted to just go to the park for a bit, so..." I breath deeply.

"No, it's fine." I look at Sam, who waves at me frantically. "We should sit down. Sam, he'll be some time." Tom chuckled.

"Yeah, I can see." I ease myself onto the bench, facing Tom.

"Tom... thank you." He smiles.

"Most welcome, my lady." I smile. Then, I sense something.

Tom goes quiet.

"Tom..." He faces me. "You know... you can talk to me as well... We've all had our fair share of crap moments." Tom leans forward and he goes pale. I begin to worry. "Tom?" I rub his back shyly.

"I... I can't..." His voice trembled.

"Tom... please... you're worrying me." Tom rubs his face.

"I... got an email..."

"Everything allright?"

"I got a job offer."

"That's great." He leans back, still anxious.

"... It's in New York."

"Oh."

"I'm not-" I interrupt.

"Take it." He frowns. "It'll be good for you. Great to earn some money and live a better life than here, in London."

"I... I don't know."

"You don't have many people you know here." I'd miss you. You'd have me.

Tom got up.

"I have-" He paused and gazed at me.

We had each other. "Yeah, you're right..." Tom sat back down.

"Sam would miss you." I would miss you too. "He'd miss Loki." Tom chuckles.

"I know... we'll see I guess." I smile at him and he returns the smile.

And, I'd miss that too.