Chapter Ten - Without Each Other

Tom's POV

Time did fly by.

Every time I had made my way to school, I paused upon entering and gazed.

Gazed at the spot where Astrid always parked.

I missed her hazelnut eyes hovering over the school and I even missed Sam calling me Hiddles.

And what was worse? It had only been a few weeks and my desire had grown.

My mind flashed back to the day she left and her reaction when I placed a light kiss on her lips.

I know.

I know it was out of order, but, I felt like we had a connection. Maybe I was wrong.

It was a Thursday and I was at the schools bright and early. For the past half an hour, I had looked down at a peice of paper.

Mrs Harrison had wanted to observe me today and see how well I had adjusted to the school.

"Knock, knock!" Mrs Harrison stood by the door, staring at for a moment. I didn't respond. "Mr Hiddleston?" She called for me, but I was too occupied with the piece of paper.

All of a sudden, I jerked back in my seat, Mrs Harrison right up in my face.

"Gosh, you seem nervous." I combed my fingers through my slick hair and sighed.

"I'm fine..." I kind of wasn't. My lust for Astrid was still lurking. Mrs Harrison came up behind me and whispered in my ear. I closed one eye.

"Mr Hiddleston, I can tell when you are lying..." She edged away from me and walked to the front of my desk. "To me... you look nervous and..." She studied me. "... lovesick." I instantly looked at Mrs Harrison. Was I? "Anyway, I was meaning to ask, have you seen Sam? Sam Williams?" I sat in silence for a moment, attempting to gather my words.

"Well... n-not really." Mrs Harrison lifted an eyebrow.

"Hm..." She pressed her hand against the table and leaned towards me. She smelt of... soap. "From what I recall, Sam signed out about twenty days ago and hasn't been in since..." My heart sank every time Mrs Harrison recalled Sam's name. "You personally would have seen him go, Thomas." Uh oh. Things just got serious.

No one would ever call me Thomas without a situation ending terribly.

I gulped, the sound echoing through the room.

"Well... I'm sure... it's... n-nothing to worry about." An uncertain smile grew on my face and Mrs Harrison glared at me.

"I suppose so..." She then clapped the her hand, myself jumping in fright. "Right then! I best grab my folder and get ready to assess you Mr Hiddleston." Making her way out of the room, she glanced back at me. "And... don't worry about this, it's just precautionary." As soon as she left the room, I could finally breath.

I sank back into my chair and tensed my cheekbones.

I stepped off my seat, strolling towards the window. Pressing my hand against the glass, I closed my eyes, remembering Astrid stood outside, rain pouring. Her eyes had met mine, however, she didn't flinch. She stared at me as I wiped the window.

Astrid must have known that maybe, our bud had flourished.

Astrid's POV

"Sammy! Be careful!" I shouted at him, laying my beach mat onto the floor. Tweaking my sunglasses slightly, I sat on it with my friend, Sarah.

"Gosh, Sammy is well excited!" I simpered slightly and Sarah nudged me. "Hey, you've had Miss frowny face on ever since you arrived! What's eating you?" Running my hand through the sand, I sighed.

For some reason, I felt like I was feeling the grief of two people.

Christopher and...

Tom.

"Oh, n-nothing..." Sarah lowered her voice.

"Is it Chris?" I looked away. Sarah rubbed my arm in comfort. "Oh I'm sorry A, I... I'm sorry." Running my hands down my face, I sniffed.

"It's fine... you know, it's best if he... stays remembered, but... not spoken." Her mouth shaped into the letter O and she smiled at me.

"Right... Have you..." I looked at her. ".... told Sam?" Tensing my cheekbones, I shook my head. "Astrid-"

"No Sarah!" I sighed angrily. "I know he has a right as a son, but, I... I need to be prepared, and right now, I'm not..." My voice began to shiver. "I'm not prepared to tell my son that his Father is... dead." Sarah's eyes widened and her eyes diverted to behind me. I froze.

Was I thinking what she was thinking?

Slowly I turned around.

It was Sam.

Tears rolled down his cheek and now I had to be prepared.

No questions asked.