Chapter Thirteen - Power With Words

Tom's POV

"Astrid, I promise, I'll help you get through this." I really meant those words. I really did.

I knew the tough time she was going through.

A small simper grew on her face and she had taken the last gulp of her coffee.

"Astrid, how did you get here?" Astrid's smile disappeared and she took hold of her bag.

"S-Sarah..." I frowned. "Oh, I thought taking Sam to Sarah would do him some good, but..." She shook her head. I rubbed her shoulder. "L-listen Tom, I know you're doing this because you... care... but you don't have to." This time, I shook my own head.

"No Astrid, I told you when we first met, I have a duty of care. It still stands." I gave Astrid a small smile and she threw the bag strap over her shoulder, slipping her coat onto herself.

"Thank you." Her tone sweetened for a second, and in the moment, I saw a glimpse of the real Astrid. "I think we should get back... home..." Suddenly realising, I slid upright and Astrid slowly got up, holding onto her bag.

"Y-yeh..." I rubbed the back of my ear, Astrid walking past me. "We should... get going..." Realising my fingers from my ear, I followed Astrid outside and Sam sat grumpily in the back.

I had been wise by tempting him with a good old ice cream to get him back on his feet, laughing and smiling.

Just the way me and Astrid would like it.

But Astrid...

She didn't change at all.

That glimpse I saw earlier faded very quickly.

I guess grief changes a lot of things.

Attitude is one of them.

I remembered where their house was even though it had been several weeks.

In fact, I was looking forward to actually seeing them both back at home.

Home is where the heart is right?

After pulling the key out of the engine, Sam rushed out of the car, Astrid unhappy with that action.

"Sam!" She cried out, scrambling out if the front seat. I let out a hard sigh and rushed after them. "Sam, you never leave the car and rush, you could have been hurt!"

Here we go again.

"I can do what I want Mommy. It isn't Daddy's car, it's Hiddles'!" Astrid's hair flew in front of her face and I knew this time, she would blow.

"Sam, you get in here no-" Step in Tom.

Step in.

"Right, well!" I crawled in between the two and tucked my hands into my pockets. "Personally, I'd like to go inside and pop the television on, don't you?" Grinning at them, Sam nodded his head frantically. Glancing at Astrid, I helped her open the door and we stepped inside. "Wait..." I frowned. "Where are the suitcases..."

"Oh... no... damn..." Astrid growled.

"What's the problemo?"

"I... left the suitcases in my boot and I have to go and get the car dammit, oh no..." She touched her forehead, breathing heavily and I tried to calm her.

"Hey, hey, it's fine, I'm sure it will be okay." I suddenly felt a tug on my coat and I stared down at Sam. "You alright Sam?" Oh gosh, oh.

He was giving me the puppy dog eyes.

Help.

Me.

"Hiddles, can... I show you my room?" I blinked continuously, knowing it would be polite for Astrid to give permission first.

"Only if... Ast-" She narrowed her eyes at me for a moment. I cleared my throat, "... Your Mother... says we can." Sam shook his head.

"We can go anyway, come on Hiddles, we don't need Mom's permission." He dragged me up the stairs and I watched Astrid's mouth droop.

I gazed at the back of Sam's head and glanced at a few pictures on the way to his room.

Smiling, I knew what characteristics he had inherited.

The hair. The eyes.

Once Sam's hand had been released from my sleeve, I twirled around slowly on the spot and admired the youngster's mind.

I knew the state of him and I gazed upon different characters, the Avengers, which I like a bit.

"Look." He handed me a figure. "It's Loki." Sam pointed at me and jumped onto the bed. "He looks like you Hiddles." I tilted my head and yeh he was right. "Maybe you should get long hair." He giggled and I sat down next to him, nudging him slightly.

"You should go easy on your Mother you know." Sam dropped his head and I wrapped one arm around little Sam's shoulder. "I know it's hard Sammy..." He sighed and I pulled him towards me.

"Mommy lied! I hate people who lie."

"Shh, I know, I know." I stroked his hair and I hear him softly sob.

"Mommy... hates me doesn't she... she didn't tell me about Daddy... I hate her."

"Please Sam, go easy in your Mom." I paused. "For me?" Sam looked up to me.

"Okay." He wrapped his arms tightly around me. "I will. For you Hiddles."

Resting my head on top of his, I sighed.

I just wanted everything to be okay. For everyone.

Astrid and Sam deserve good things.

And I confess, how much I love them both.