Chapter Eleven - Waiting For The End Of The Road

Tom's POV

Another week passes.

Another week of remorse.

I stared down at my cup of coffee as I huddled my hands closer to the rim of the cup.

Bloody cold outside. It poured with rain and for me, wind and rain do not mix.

Every moment I touched the cup, the faster the contents grew colder.

And the more times I ordered a fresh new cup of coffee.

The more my change disappeared.

I could go on.

Today, was a Sunday. The fourth Sunday without Sam and Astrid.

Every Sunday, I would sit in this exact spot, next the this exact window and ask the same person for a cup of coffee.

That's what I'd do.

I'd sit here, waiting.

Just waiting.

Waiting for the moment Astrid would stroll in with Sam.

Without taking any notice, I turned my head left, glancing on two figures. Actually, it was a woman and her son. Narrowing my eyes, I realised who it was.

Astrid and Sam.

Yes! I knew coming here would pay off!

Thier conversation was audible, and all I could tell, all I could infer, is that they were arguing.

Scrambling from my seat, I told the waitress to keep hold of it. Right now, it was my good luck charm.

Buttoning the top button on my coat, I pulled up my umbrella and rushed to them.

"Sammy, come on!" Sam screeched and angrily huffed.

"No Mommy, I hate you, I'm not going in!" Astrid's voice raised, until I called out for Sam.

"Sam!" He turned around and his face grew a smile.

"Hiddles!" Sam paced towards me, wrapping his arms around my legs as I patted his mop of hair. Astrid came towards me, her hair dripping wet.

From what I could tell, that month wasn't very productive.

God bless her, she looked exhausted.

"All right Sam?" I simpered at Astrid, who sighed heavily.

"Sammy, we need to go home!" Little Sam shook his head and peered up at me. Astrid attempted to grab his arm, but Sam pulled it back. I need to relieve the tension created.

"H-how about we go for a nice hot chocolate?" I gave Sam the idea and he nodded frantically.

Myself and Sam went in first, Astrid following, with her arms folded.

Kneeling down to Sam, I pointed at my spot.

"Sammy, go over there. Me and your Mother will be there soon." Before running, he hugged me again.

"I've missed you Hiddles..." I simpered.

"Me too buddy, now go." Sam rushed to the table and I straightened myself, Astrid biting her lip. "You... all right?" She gave me a small simper dropping her head.

"Well... I'm good..." We stayed silent for a moment and she groaned.

"You don't sound like it..." Turning to look at me, she stroked her hair.

"I am... just you know, the perks of being pregnant... and a single Mother to a very sensitive child." Astrid and I chuckled. There was one thing pondering on my mind. "Go on." And she detected that within seconds. Gosh, am I that readable?

"Well... h-how..."

"Go on..."

"H-how many months... are you... you know..." Astrid simpered.

"Nervous for a question like that, you are a nervous man Tom... anyways... I'm... about three... months." I smiled.

"Great! I didn't mean, you know, I wasn't trying to be..." She placed a hand onto my shoulder.

"Stop it Tom, you're blushing." I pressed my bare hands onto my face, the coldness burning my skin even more.

"God..." Finally, we were at the front of the queue, and I ordered two coffees, along with a small hot chocolate. We couldn't, however, forget the marshmallows for Sam right?

As soon as our order was made, I picked up the tray and we walked over to the table.

I was so glad that Astrid was finally back. And Sam, of course.