"This is War"

As soon as my feet hit the safe area of the lair, I fell to the floor and breathed out heavily. Someone picked me up and I hoped it was Naomi. They set me on the couch and sat beside me.

I looked over at it was Naomi. Her eyes were looking at the ground and her head on Raph’s shoulder. They both looked troubled. Donnie was standing, with some difficulty, on a wall ledge. Sophie was nowhere to be seen. Leo was coming in with Splinter.

Splinter and Mii-wa looked at each of us. Sophie came in from the kitchen, bringing bandages and other medical supplies. Everyone spoke not a word as Sophie helped to wrap us up. She started with the closet Turtle, Leo.

“You all are very lucky to have survived the Shredder.” Splinter began.

Mii-wa nodded, “I, for one, am lucky as well.”

“That was nearly twenty years ago.” Splinter said, turning his head only slightly to look at her sideway. Then to us, “He would have killed you.”

“It’s a relief he didn’t…” Sophie muttered, going over to Donnie next.

“Yes.” Splinter nodded. “And now, because he knows you are still alive, he will stop at nothing to come after you. This is war.”

Naomi looked at Splinter, sighed, then looked away again, keeping her head on Raph’s shoulder the entire time. Without really noticing it, I saw they were also holding hands in secret. Well, not really if I could see it.

I had Sophie come to me next because I was ready to go rest. She came over and bandaged me up nicely. It was comfortable, but it also was uncomfortable because it showed that I lost. Everyone did. Even Naomi.

As soon as she told me I was good, Mikey wanted to be next. I got up and limped to my room. My bed seemed like the most comfortable place at the moment, so I just collapsed, arms and legs splayed like an angel, face dug into the pillow.

After a while, I still couldn’t go to sleep, but then my door opened. I turned my head and noticed Mikey rubbing his arm and having a pained expression on his face.

“Mikey…” I whispered.

He walked up to me and sat at the foot of my bed before leaning back and plopping down like I did, only on his back and not his stomach.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

Looking at me with those sky blue eyes, he smiled a little and nodded, “Yeah. Just tired.”

“No kidding.” I half laughed. “But I can’t seem to sleep.”

I sat up then laid down on my shell beside him. We both stared at the ceiling like we expected to see stars floating up and around us. That would be pretty cool, actually. Like those love stories with couples on the hood of a car and staring at the stars.

“Thanks for helping me out from under that light.” Mikey looked at me.

I looked at me, “No problem. I know you’ve done the same.”

“I know I would.” Mikey raised his arm and pointed at his chest with his thumb. “You’re really near and dear to me, believe it or not.”

“Oh, I believe it.” I smiled.

He smiled back then stared back at the ceiling. “You know what you need?”

“What’s that?”

“Stars that stick to your ceiling and glow in the dark. Sophie said she had some at her old place.”

“Really?” I asked. “Well, I’ll bug Mii-wa about it next time she heads up. Or April.”

“April.” Mikey nodded. “Do you think she likes Donnie?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know. She can be as hard to read as Naomi can sometimes.”

“Naomi’s always hard to understand.” Mikey agreed.

“Not tonight though… She was really scared for all of us.”

“You could tell?”

“She may be serious most of the time along with that mind reading skill of hers, but she can really care about others. Like Raph with Spike.”

Mikey looked at me then back at the ceiling. “Like you with me?”

“And you with me.” I nodded.

He got up and then stood up, stretching out his limbs and then groaning, holding his side as he did. “I don’t think it would be wise to reopen that.”

I sat up on the bed and shook my head, “I don’t want you hurt again.”

Mikey rubbed the back of his head then said, “Well, I’ll see you tomorrow, then.” then he turned to leave.

I bit my lip, “Mikey, wait!” I got up and he turned around. Without warning, I hugged him. He splayed his arms before hugging me back. When I pulled away, both him and I were blushing like crazy. “Just try not to push yourself.”

“You neither.” Mikey smiled, then took his hand, put it behind my neck and kissed my forehead. “Good night!” then left, shutting the door behind him.